Murray/Siemans recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

C'mon, it's something that happened with two month' s production run and is easily corrected...despite what a lot of folks here have said, Murray/Siemens breakers and panels aren't as bad as Zinsco or FPE (or worse..those horrid GE thins). Years ago I worked with an EC and we installed a lot of Murray/Siemens gear..and my sister's house has one that's over 20 years old (that I installed) and it is still in very good condition.

I'm not trying to downplay the fact that it is a serious issue as loose bus/breaker contact is very, very bad.

At least, unlike FPE, they have the integrity to recall and take care of the problem instead of sending out warning tags. :roll:

attachment.php

shepelec

My point with the "big box" stores was more to the fact of, they wno't call and tell you this. Where as I recieved a call and an email from my supplier.:)

I only wish I has seen somebody else posted this before I did...Oh well.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That recall was supposedly a UL testing issue, nobody complained about anything. A supplier to them changed the spring material without telling them first, which meant they had to re-test for UL. But instead, they just went back to the old material, but have to junk the couple of months worth of production with the untested spring.

Cost me $10,000 in penalties... 4 days at $2500/day, so I demanded to know the details.

Buck Parrish

That recall was supposedly a UL testing issue, nobody complained about anything. A supplier to them changed the spring material without telling them first, which meant they had to re-test for UL. But instead, they just went back to the old material, but have to junk the couple of months worth of production with the untested spring.

Cost me $10,000 in penalties... 4 days at $2500/day, so I demanded to know the details.

What type of penalties ? I'm only trying to figure how to protect my self in the future. Could you elaborate about the penalties?

wireguru

did you seek relief from the distributor you purchased the recalled items through?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What type of penalties ? I'm only trying to figure how to protect my self in the future. Could you elaborate about the penalties?
I am under a contract to deliver a large volume of pre-assembled systems that have a small load center in them as part of the overall assembly. Part of the contract I signed was accepting that performance penalty. I'm not complaining about the contract, I understand why they need it (mobilization issues) and I am well compensated in exchange for taking on that risk. It's just that once I think of that money as mine, I'm loath to part with it again...

I am not going after the distributor, it's not his fault either. But I am seeking relief from Siemens, hence the detailed description of the problem. So far, they are being sympathetic and working on a plan to make me whole, or at least lessen the pain. I did after all give the business to them as opposed to a competitor.

It also helps that I used to work for them and I have pictures from office parties in a vault at the bank...

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
QO just went though that. Well mainly due to fake QO breakers being sold at the supply house.
The Chinese counterfeits have hit all of them now, Sq. D, Siemens, Eaton and GE. Nobody is immune.

Rule #1: If the price is too good to be true, it's probably the product that's a fake.

Rule #2: When in doubt, see rule #1

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The Chinese counterfeits have hit all of them now, Sq. D, Siemens, Eaton and GE. Nobody is immune.

Rule #1: If the price is too good to be true, it's probably the product that's a fake.

Rule #2: When in doubt, see rule #1

Isn't it wonderfull that we don't make any of this stuff in the USA.
It's amazing how the price of the equipment did not go down when production left The USA.
Last month i installed a murry 100 amp panel with the home owner standing right behind me the whole day when tryed to put on the cover it would not fit properly because the bus was bent and threw every thing off just enough so the cover would not go on without a fight guess what the home owner wanted.
A panel where the cover went on easy can you blame him. so i went to the supply house and bought a Crouse hindes and had to rip out the brand new murry and do it over .
so the murry panel was just for practice.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.