GFCI and Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studying

I have a question regarding GFCI receptacles and pools. This question actually came from a friend that said he saw it on a test:

What is the required distance of a GFCI outlet from a pool?

Per NEC, no receptacles can be located within 6', and anything within 20' must be GFCI.

The possible answers were 3', 6', 20', and 25'. Obviously 3' and 25' are not correct. In my opinion, depending on how you read this the answer could be 6' or 20'. Any suggestions?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum.
I think there would need to be a few more specifics before the "correct" answer could be determined. Are we talking "storable" pool or "permanently installed" ? Are we including receptacles for circulation equipment or general use outlets ?
Test question can be difficult, second hand ones can be impossible :)

nhfire77

If that is the exact wording and it was multiple choice and those were the only options let me answer this the way I would if I were taking the test (technically there isn't enough info to answer the question like is this inside? And what kind of pool? but I will take a shot and answer what they might be getting at)

If there are no receptacles within 6' then 6' is wrong.

If within 20' is required, then that's the answer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Assuming that the pool is a permanent pool then the answer would be either 6' or 20'. The question is asking for the distance from a pool. The word from would imply either a minimum or maximum distance. In other words the way the question is worded there is no one correct answer.

electricmanscott

I have a question regarding GFCI receptacles and pools. This question actually came from a friend that said he saw it on a test:

What is the required distance of a GFCI outlet from a pool?

Per NEC, no receptacles can be located within 6', and anything within 20' must be GFCI.

The possible answers were 3', 6', 20', and 25'. Obviously 3' and 25' are not correct. In my opinion, depending on how you read this the answer could be 6' or 20'. Any suggestions?

I agree with your take since you are required to have a receptacle between 6 and 20 feet from the pool. I would have answered 6 to this poorly worded question.

jetlag

I agree with your take since you are required to have a receptacle between 6 and 20 feet from the pool. I would have answered 6 to this poorly worded question.

its worded so badly I wonder if by time the friend told it the wording got a little off . It might have said what is the max distance from a pool that gfci outlets must be used. that would probably be 20 ft . but if wording is exactly right I would have to go with 6 ft

Status
Not open for further replies.