Bounced check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

I have a customer who gave me a check several weeks ago and it bounced, I've called her and no answer, Ive sent a certified letter she didn't pick it up at the post office. I'm running out of options and patience. The amount is less than 150 dollars but I got got surcharged 15 buckos and it really pisses me off.
I live in NJ, does anyone have any advice or guidance pls?

480sparky

Next time you're in the neighborhood, darken her door.

It's really not enough to throw good money after bad. Maybe just send a 44?-stamped statement once in a while. Maybe she just is having a rough time right now and will settle up later.

Otherwise, chalk it up to tuition to the School of Hard Knocks.

nakulak

a few months ago I got a call from a customer who had stiffed me for 800 bucks about 10 or 15 yrs ago (final payment). The guy said that he had some work he wanted done, but everyone he's used lately just didn't do as nice a job as the work I did for him, and could I come by and look at the stuff he wanted done. I was real nice, and told him sure. Then I typed out a short letter saying that my computer told me he still owed me 800 bucks, and as soon as he sent me a check I'd make an appointment and get right out there. I showed the letter to my wife, and I said - " You want to see a perfectly good waste of a 44c stamp, a 3c envelope, and a 1c piece of paper ?".

I have yet to hear back.

Like 480 said . . .

480sparky

a few months ago I got a call from a customer who had stiffed me for 800 bucks about 10 or 15 yrs ago (final payment). The guy said that he had some work he wanted done, but everyone he's used lately just didn't do as nice a job as the work I did for him, and could I come by and look at the stuff he wanted done. I was real nice, and told him sure..........

So he's owed you $800 since the Clinton years? I'd require it to be paid before I even thought about more work, and then I require full pre-payment.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So he's owed you $800 since the Clinton years? I'd require it to be paid before I even thought about more work, and then I require full pre-payment.

try to get pre-payment in CA you'll loose your license. It's against the law.
1) max 10% down no larger than 1k the lower of the two.
2) no advance money on special orders
3) no payment at all unless complete for jobs under 750.00
4) can't let payments get ahead of work.
I am seriously thinking about doing something else for work!

Never had a person bounce a check though!

nakulak

well, I was thinking the same. I just didn't exactly put like that. Believe me, if his mailbox were on my way to anywhere I would not have wasted the stamp.

ceb58

I have a customer who gave me a check several weeks ago and it bounced, I've called her and no answer, Ive sent a certified letter she didn't pick it up at the post office. I'm running out of options and patience. The amount is less than 150 dollars but I got got surcharged 15 buckos and it really pisses me off.
I live in NJ, does anyone have any advice or guidance pls?

Take the check to her bank. Ask them to check her account and see if the money is available to cash the check. If not you can file in small claims for the check and cost incurred in filing and charges you incurred.

OH,wait your in NJ..... call Vinney and the boys;)

480sparky

Then he's gonna find someone else to do the work, I guess.

CDELECT

Turn it over the the police, Below are the civil and criminal penalties for writing a bad check in New Jersey.

Civil Penalties: Face amount of the check, attorney fees, court costs, costs of mailing a demand for payment, and damages in an amount equal to $100.00 or triple the amount of the check, whichever is greater, but not to exceed $500.00.

Criminal Penalties: Up to $1,000 fine or up to one year in jail or both.

wireguy8169

If the funds were not available when the check was written, it could turn out to be a criminal case and at that point you would not have to file in civil court, and as said if the funds are now available call the bank and they can tell you if they are or are not. Then take it to their bank and cash it...that is if its not over the allowable time to cash the check

HEYDOG

I had this happen once. Customer would not answer the phone. I finally called and left a message that if I did not get a return phone call within 24 hours that I was contacting the Prosecuting Attorneys office. She called within 24 hours and made arrangements for me to come by the next day and pick up cash. I don't know if this will work in your case but it dosen't cost any money. Good luck.

mxslick

And the doofuses who run this state wonder why businesses are leaving...:roll:

Item one makes no sense...say the job is for $1 million..who in their right mind would undertake a $1 million job with a $1,000 down payment? :confused:

Even a car loan can require more than $1,000 down (or 10%).

I am going to shut down my business and leave this state. :mad:

As for bounced checks, my Terms and Conditions papers given to ALL new clients states that a bounced check will result in a fee of $50 PLUS up to three times the amount of the check as allowed by law. Payment to be in CASH only.

Only one client ever bounced a check, they did include the $50.00 fee but wrote another check on a different account. Luckily for them it cleared o.k.

Last edited:

drive1968

You could put a construction lien on the property title. It is a bit of a hastle to get one placed on the title, but it will prevent the owner from transfering title until you get paid.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..got surcharged 15 buckos and it really pisses me off.
My bank, CHASE, surcharges $35.00 for other peoples bounced checks. Customer banks can also check for available funds over the phone.

One fixed-income customer begged me not to cash a check because the useless-attorney's retainer drained his account. He did make payments and bought me lunch a few times, until the Sheriff evicted him from the foreclosed house. It's not bright hanging on to checks for over a week. In this economy checks should be cashed much sooner.

Next time a Utility arrives to shut off water for non payment, I'll know to collect immediately or quit. A few hundred in Hard-Knocks tuition well spent.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I got a bad check from a tenant, $250. He had moved out and owed me another $300. I added up late fees, penalties, cleaning expenses, anything I could think of and came up with $1800. I sent him a letter showing the numbers, and wrote that if he would consistently pay $25 per month, I would settle for $875. If he missed a month I would "take the bad check to the sheriff, and have him locked up."

He's been sending me $25 per month for 11 months now.

Tiger Electrical

Of all the customer payment problem issues a bounced check would be my favorite. Illinois has some sweet laws protecting contractors and others. Check with your state.

Usually the first thing to do is see your personal banker where you deposited the check and have them call the customer's bank to see if funds are available. If so redeposit it. A good time to check is a few days before the end of the month when they pay their mortgage.

In Illinois you can't do anything until the check bounces twice. Then the State's Attorney's office will attempt to collect for you. If the customer doesn't comply with their payment and education program, they prosecute.

satcom

Of all the customer payment problem issues a bounced check would be my favorite. Illinois has some sweet laws protecting contractors and others. Check with your state.

Usually the first thing to do is see your personal banker where you deposited the check and have them call the customer's bank to see if funds are available. If so redeposit it. A good time to check is a few days before the end of the month when they pay their mortgage.

In Illinois you can't do anything until the check bounces twice. Then the State's Attorney's office will attempt to collect for you. If the customer doesn't comply with their payment and education program, they prosecute.

He is in Jersey passing a bad check there, is serious stuff, it seems he is not the one with the problem, the customer is the one in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.