photos! Western States Electrical Contest 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsherman37

So last weekend I flew out to Salt Lake City to compete in the annual Western States Electrical Contest. The host location rotates year-to-year, and this year's was hosted by the Utah JATC. They did a spectacular job. There were 29 contestants from 10 different states, and they were all the top graduates in their respective apprenticeship programs. Every dude (and one dudette) there was top-notch and absolutely the cream of the crop. It was an honor to compete against them, and though the scoring was not disclosed, I strongly suspect that it was pretty tight across the board.

Overall, I took first place in two individual events (motor control wiring and 3/4" EMT bending) and 2nd place overall. The winner was a young man from SW Washington, and he certainly deserves the distinction. I was thrilled just to go to this thing, so I was happy with whatever I could get. Here's a couple photos, but if you want to see more, follow this link to my Photobucket album:

Western States Electrical Contest 2010!!

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
So last weekend I flew out to Salt Lake City to compete in the annual Western States Electrical Contest. The host location rotates year-to-year, and this year's was hosted by the Utah JATC. They did a spectacular job. There were 29 contestants from 10 different states, and they were all the top graduates in their respective apprenticeship programs. Every dude (and one dudette) there was top-notch and absolutely the cream of the crop. It was an honor to compete against them, and though the scoring was not disclosed, I strongly suspect that it was pretty tight across the board.

Overall, I took first place in two individual events (motor control wiring and 3/4" EMT bending) and 2nd place overall. The winner was a young man from SW Washington, and he certainly deserves the distinction. I was thrilled just to go to this thing, so I was happy with whatever I could get. Here's a couple photos, but if you want to see more, follow this link to my Photobucket album:

Western States Electrical Contest 2010!!

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

congrats on a good job and your hard work:grin:

ericsherman37

If anyone is interested, here is a description of the events. I'd say the toughest obstacle was the time limit for each event.

1) Written exam. Included theory, code, safety, and some calculations. Thirty questions, 45 minute time limit. My strategy was to blast through the stuff I knew off the top of my head, then go back and knock out the questions that just needed a quick look-up, then tackle the more involved questions. The calculations were fairly involved considering the time limit (including a voltage drop calculation, a residential calculation, and a couple of circuit-sizing calculations). I, and most of the other contestants, were not able to complete every single question and had to make some educated guesses as the time ran out. No one got 100%, and I believe the winner of this event missed two questions.

2) Material identification. There were 30 electrical items (everything from a timing relay to a lightning rod to an EMT coupling) and we had 1 minute at each item to identify every bit of information we could about it. Most of the stuff was fairly easy, but there were some really weird oddball gizmos they threw in there.

3) Motor control diagram. We were given a process scenario and had to design a ladder diagram (properly numbered, labelled, cross-referenced, etc.). The process was fairly simple: Two starters operated by a single start-stop station; nothing could be energized until a limit switch was actuated; both starters were held by a holding contact on one of the starters; both of the starters had to drop out if EITHER overload relay was tripped; and a pilot light had to illuminate if the overload relay on one of the starters tripped.

4) Motor control wiring. We were given a limited amount of materials (wire and a couple of wire nuts) and had to wire the ladder diagram we drew in the previous event. Everyone had an identical motor control "station" to work at. Points were awarded on functionality, neatness, code compliance, etc. I took 1st place in this event! Yay!

5) Residential wiring. We were given a description of a circuit and had to wire it given a very limited amount of materials (adequate if we designed our circuit correctly but not enough if you screwed up). Time limit was 50 minutes, and only about half of the contestants finished within the time limit. The scenario included a half-hot half-switched receptacle and a couple of lights controlled by 3 and 4-way switches. The toughest part was manually (no power tools allowed) cranking down the TWO-INCH LONG 8/32 screws for each keyless fixture. Talk about carpal tunnel.

6) 1/2" EMT Bending. This one was pretty brutal. We were given a sheet with drawings from various angles of the finished pipe, including all necessary dimensions. Included an offset, a compound 90 around a 6" round corner obstruction, a 3-bend saddle, a back-to-back 90, and a stub-up 90. I screwed up my compound 90 and wound up bending my stub-up the wrong way. When I carefully unbent it, I managed to kink the pipe, which is an automatic 5 point deduction. Tried my best, but it was a tough bend!

7) 3/4" EMT Bending. This one went much better for me and I wound up winning this event. Kick 90, back-to-back 90, 4-bend saddle, and an offset at the end of a stub-up.

It was a great competition, very well-run and quite challenging! If you're involved in apprenticeship instruction at all, I would totally recommend considering an event like this. It's a lot of fun and is very rewarding!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
If anyone is interested, here is a description of the events. I'd say the toughest obstacle was the time limit for each event.

1) Written exam. Included theory, code, safety, and some calculations. Thirty questions, 45 minute time limit. My strategy was to blast through the stuff I knew off the top of my head, then go back and knock out the questions that just needed a quick look-up, then tackle the more involved questions. The calculations were fairly involved considering the time limit (including a voltage drop calculation, a residential calculation, and a couple of circuit-sizing calculations). I, and most of the other contestants, were not able to complete every single question and had to make some educated guesses as the time ran out. No one got 100%, and I believe the winner of this event missed two questions.

2) Material identification. There were 30 electrical items (everything from a timing relay to a lightning rod to an EMT coupling) and we had 1 minute at each item to identify every bit of information we could about it. Most of the stuff was fairly easy, but there were some really weird oddball gizmos they threw in there.

3) Motor control diagram. We were given a process scenario and had to design a ladder diagram (properly numbered, labelled, cross-referenced, etc.). The process was fairly simple: Two starters operated by a single start-stop station; nothing could be energized until a limit switch was actuated; both starters were held by a holding contact on one of the starters; both of the starters had to drop out if EITHER overload relay was tripped; and a pilot light had to illuminate if the overload relay on one of the starters tripped.

4) Motor control wiring. We were given a limited amount of materials (wire and a couple of wire nuts) and had to wire the ladder diagram we drew in the previous event. Everyone had an identical motor control "station" to work at. Points were awarded on functionality, neatness, code compliance, etc. I took 1st place in this event! Yay!

5) Residential wiring. We were given a description of a circuit and had to wire it given a very limited amount of materials (adequate if we designed our circuit correctly but not enough if you screwed up). Time limit was 50 minutes, and only about half of the contestants finished within the time limit. The scenario included a half-hot half-switched receptacle and a couple of lights controlled by 3 and 4-way switches. The toughest part was manually (no power tools allowed) cranking down the TWO-INCH LONG 8/32 screws for each keyless fixture. Talk about carpal tunnel.

6) 1/2" EMT Bending. This one was pretty brutal. We were given a sheet with drawings from various angles of the finished pipe, including all necessary dimensions. Included an offset, a compound 90 around a 6" round corner obstruction, a 3-bend saddle, a back-to-back 90, and a stub-up 90. I screwed up my compound 90 and wound up bending my stub-up the wrong way. When I carefully unbent it, I managed to kink the pipe, which is an automatic 5 point deduction. Tried my best, but it was a tough bend!

7) 3/4" EMT Bending. This one went much better for me and I wound up winning this event. Kick 90, back-to-back 90, 4-bend saddle, and an offset at the end of a stub-up.

It was a great competition, very well-run and quite challenging! If you're involved in apprenticeship instruction at all, I would totally recommend considering an event like this. It's a lot of fun and is very rewarding!

WOW that is great that is a tough challange .Maby they will make that the jouneymans test,,HA HA just kidding ..
most of us guys with 30 years in the trade would have a heck of a hard time doing all that is metioned in your post with twice the time limits.
It's Great to read about your enthusiasim for our trade is top of the line.
thank you very much for your story it is great..:grin::grin::grin:

iwire

Staff member
Congratulations and thank you for posting the photos and the descriptions of the tasks.

I can't help but notice this part .....

The toughest part was manually (no power tools allowed) cranking down the TWO-INCH LONG 8/32 screws for each keyless fixture. Talk about carpal tunnel.

.... Boohoo. :grin:

Oh yeah those machine screws can be a real bear :grin: ..... You do realize we used to hand drive screws into wood.

I am not that old and for the first 10 years it was either drive by hand or grab a corded screw gun like the drywallers use.

Then we moved up to the durable, but low powe,r low speed 9.8 volt Makita cordless. It was not till fairly recently decent battery tools hit the trades.

ericsherman37

Congratulations and thank you for posting the photos and the descriptions of the tasks.

Oh yeah those machine screws can be a real bear :grin: ..... You do realize we used to hand drive screws into wood.

I am not that old and for the first 10 years it was either drive by hand or grab a corded screw gun like the drywallers use.

Then we moved up to the durable, but low powe,r low speed 9.8 volt Makita cordless. It was not till fairly recently decent battery tools hit the trades.

Okay okay, I guess I have it pretty easy :p I can't imagine sitting there doing that all day though!

ericsherman37

Congratulations, glad you did well ,can you post a sketch of your Ladder Diagram?

They kept our original ladder diagram actually, so I never got it back. Here's a quick-n-dirty copy I just scrawled out though (omitting numbering and contact referencing and stuff). I think my limit switch symbol is upside-down too. I can never remember that. The M1 starter was a Cutler-Hammer something-or-other and its overload relay had both an N.C. and an N.O. contact which I utilized for the pilot light.

Photo-0002.jpg

mcclary's electrical

:grin::grin:Funny, but I know what's he's saying. Those cheap plastic boxes don't have precut threads. The screw forms them into the plastic. It's pretty hard to put a long one in with a screwdriver.

ericsherman37

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention the best part: PRIZES!

Every contestant got a duffel bag with a bunch of free tools in it. Hand tools, wiggys, and a compact Milwaukie 1/4" chuck impact drill w/ battery and charger.

Winners of individual events won $100 each per event.

3rd place overall won $200 cash.

2nd place overall won $400 cash, the Silver Kleins plaque, and a free 8-cal Arc Flash suit.

1st place overall won $600 cash, the Golden Kleins, and a free arc flash suit the same as 2nd place.

So overall I got the duffel bag, $600 cash (400 for 2nd place, and 2x $100 for individual events), and an arc flash suit. Of course when I tried to fly home with all that stuff, the baggage fees pretty much sucked up most of my winnings.

dicklaxt

Okay good job on the ladder diagram,a comment on the logic tho,you need an aux contact from each overload relay in parallel to get the status light if either OL relay actuates

dick

Last edited:

ericsherman37

The instructions told us to make the pilot light come on only when M1 starter overloads trip. I guess they don't care what happens to M2 :D

Plus M2 was an old Square D heap and it only had a N.C. contact on the overload relay. No ice cube relays were provided or allowed.

Last edited:

sparky=t

can you say "yankee" :cool:

dhalleron

Congrats! Bet it was fun. I never made it to the electrical union but I wanted to way back in 1980 when I started vocational school.

I won first place in my regional VICA (Vocational Industrial Clubs of America) 2 years in a row. I got these cool little trophies. The only thing was there were only 3 or 4 other guys in my class that I competed with at regional. When I got to the state contest I was beat by the best the state had to offer.

stevenje

I remember always having and awl in my pouch to "pre-drill" a hole for the screws that went into wood. A few of the guys used yankee drill/drivers that they were about 18" long. No wonder older electricians have wrist, elbow and shoulder problems. I remember back in 1984 the boss gave all the journeyman and apprentices the first battery powered drill I had ever seen. It was an AEG 7.2 volt. A couple of years later Milwaukee came out with a drill that looked just like it. I still have it sitting around in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.