How high have you been with aerial work equipment?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

How high have you been with aerial work equipment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Does a motorized scaffold count?

Does a motorized scaffold count?

I was up six stories with a fellow employee inside an atrium. Wearing harnesses attached to the scaffold. One motor on each side of the scaffold (@ 20' or 25' wide) running independent of each other.. The guy I was working with paniced, became disoriented and uncommunicative. Began pushing the up button sometimes when he wanted to go down, etc. Had to scootch over & pry his control out of his hands to get us down. I don't think he knew he was afraid of heights.

Unrelated to the above, reading this thread last week gave me a nightmare.

masterinbama

I was up six stories with a fellow employee inside an atrium. Wearing harnesses attached to the scaffold. One motor on each side of the scaffold (@ 20' or 25' wide) running independent of each other.. The guy I was working with paniced, became disoriented and uncommunicative. Began pushing the up button sometimes when he wanted to go down, etc. Had to scootch over & pry his control out of his hands to get us down. I don't think he knew he was afraid of heights.

Unrelated to the above, reading this thread last week gave me a nightmare.

There is a reason they call them "Swing Stages".

TwinCitySparky

About 65' in and around support columns and marble fixtures for 4 weeks strait. 190 pendant fixtures replaced. I was the designated JLG guy the whole time. Didn't drop anything or break so much as one alter candle the entire install. :D

CRISTY3.jpg

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
There are not many feelings that can compare with touchy controls on an extended 60' or more manlift! (outside of the military :) )

Last edited:
100 feet up in a swing stage. Hanging 60 lbs lights that are 6' tall. Had to have a guy on the roof lower the light and stablize it so I could install it.

dbuckley

From a local paper: the printed article had a picture but the online version from where I filched this text did not, unfortunately.

A Christchurch engineer hugged a stone cross above Christ Church Cathedral as the bells rang and the building swayed around him.

The magnitude 5.0 aftershock struck as Ben West, of Stoneworks, and John Hare, of Holmes Consulting, were on a platform suspended from a crane as they inspected the stone cross on the southern gable of the cathedral.

Hare hugged the cross as it swayed about 10 centimetres and West gripped the stone gable.

Hare said it was "very exciting".

"Imagine the last thing you would want to be doing when it hits, and this was it," he said. "There was that moment when everything flashed before my eyes, but thankfully it didn't come to that. It was waving around a hell of a lot."

He was thankful the aftershock did not shake the cross loose."That was a fairly nerve-racking experience," he said.

"I think some fairly unreligious words were spoken. I will be happy enough if I never experience anything like that again."

The cross was damaged before the aftershock and was removed yesterday for safety reasons.

From The press.

76nemo

Rented a boom lift once and the guy said that the nice thing about the lift was that you didn't have to lower it to drive it. My brother and I were in the basket and we were only up about 30' so we drove across the warehouse and when the thing stopped and the bucket bounced about 3' up and down is when we realized was that just because you can drive it with the bucket up doesn't mean you should.:)

Best post for me in awhile..........yeah, I can relate:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.