Properly supported conduit --- attached to concrete block sirtting on ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I recently came across an install of PVC conduit running through a crawspace (which is typically closed up normally not very accessible). PVC conduit came through one wall, was strapped to concrete block sitting on the ground and then went through the other wall. Distance between walls was probably less than 7 feet and the block was approx. in the center.

Code compliant or not? I'd say technically no, but I certainly don't think it would be going anywhere. I'd let it pass if I were inspecting...

Thx,
Jason

PS to Mods: Can someone fix the typo in the subject line. Thx.

lakee911

Off of the top of my head, I thought that support needed to be every 5 feet ... am I wrong?

Typically conduit/raceway is secured to fixed objects. If this is okay, where does one draw the line? Would a little red brick be acceptable? How about just laying the strap across the conduit on top of the ground?

Even if it's not required, wouldn't it still have to be installed/secured properly?

Thx,
Jason

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Off of the top of my head, I thought that support needed to be every 5 feet ... am I wrong?

The support requirements change for different conduit sizes, so I couldn't tell you since you didn't list the size.

Typically conduit/raceway is secured to fixed objects. If this is okay, where does one draw the line? Would a little red brick be acceptable? How about just laying the strap across the conduit on top of the ground?

Even if it's not required, wouldn't it still have to be installed/secured properly?

I use PT sleepers laying on the dirt in crawlspaces, it's no different than running raceways across rubber membrane roofs where you can't screw anything down.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

A concrete block sitting on the ground in a place it is unlikely to ever be disturbed is pretty much a fixed object in my mind.

In any case the code does not anywhere say that a raceway has to be secured to a fixed object. Think about some of the ways raceways is secured for seismic zone issues. I have seen them on what look like rollers to me. They are deliberately allowed to move around.

Personally I see nothing wrong with running the PVC conduit along the ground and just staking it down in such a location.

lakee911

The support requirements change for different conduit sizes, so I couldn't tell you since you didn't list the size.

Whoops! Appeared to be 2" or so.

I use PT sleepers laying on the dirt in crawlspaces, it's no different than running raceways across rubber membrane roofs where you can't screw anything down.

Good point.

A concrete block sitting on the ground in a place it is unlikely to ever be disturbed is pretty much a fixed object in my mind.

In any case the code does not anywhere say that a raceway has to be secured to a fixed object. Think about some of the ways raceways is secured for seismic zone issues. I have seen them on what look like rollers to me. They are deliberately allowed to move around.

Seems like no problem then... I learned something new for today, can I go home now? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.