Main in house panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

I would appreciate some clarification for the following: The electrical service will be on the utility company's pole (meter and service panel with a main breaker). We will then go underground with a stub-up (3 feet max.)through the slab into a panel inside the house. Does this panel require a main (it will probably be a 42 space panel) ? Thanks in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There needs to be a main disconnect as near as possible to the point of entry of the conductors. You can have a main breaker panel, that's the usual method or you can have a main disconnect that is separate from the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is a good graphic for this.

ry%3D400

JDB3

Thanks, I was not sure about this since there will be a main on the pole. What code article best addresses this so that I can inform the general contractor?

lakee911

Are you sure that is written correctly? Around here, the utility co. won't allow meters on their poles let alone a service disconnect and panel!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What code article best addresses this so that I can inform the general contractor?
Start at 230.70, then go to 230.70(A)(1). Since the disconnect on the pole is not "readily accessible," you can't take credit for it as being the required disconnecting means.

JDB3

Around here I work with several different utility companies, which make it interesting trying to keep up with all the different requirements. Some say meter & panel on pole with a transformer, others on a pole that does not have a transformer, others say set your own pole, etc. ..

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
"Readily Accessible" Is it not readily accessible because of walking to the pole?
Maybe I am assuming too much. When I hear "utility pole," my eyes wander upwards, and I anticipate seeing the disconnect somewhat above my eye level. :roll:

But if the disconnect and meter are within easy reach, and you don't need a portable ladder to reach them, then they are "readily accessible." Now as to whether they can count as the required disconnecting means, it becomes a matter of distance from the house and any applicable local codes. How far is the pole from the house, and are you aware of any local rules regarding the maximum allowable distance?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
"Readily Accessible" Is it not readily accessible because of walking to the pole? There will be no obstacles that I can think of.

The pole, IMO is a separate structure and each structure req. a disconnect-- look at 225.31 & 225.32. You also need rods at both places.

JDB3

The distance to pole @ one location will be 100 feet and the second one perhaps 175 feet (they have not yet decided on the location of the house yet).

The only local requirement is that there be a main somewhere. Distance is not a factor.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I would appreciate some clarification for the following: The electrical service will be on the utility company's pole (meter and service panel with a main breaker). We will then go underground with a stub-up (3 feet max.)through the slab into a panel inside the house. Does this panel require a main (it will probably be a 42 space panel) ? Thanks in advance.

Remember that this requires a 4 wire system.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The only local requirement is that there be a main somewhere. Distance is not a factor.
Whose requirement are you talking about. If you mean the NEC then you are incorrect. The disconnect for the structure needs to be located at a readily accessible location either outside or inside as near as possible to the point of entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.