OCPD fillers for panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

I once heard that the circuit breaker fillers for panels are now illegal; I was told that the panelboard either had to have the factory knockout still in place or a breaker with no wire termination had to be installed. Is this true? If so, where can I find this information? NEC?

lakee911

I once heard that the circuit breaker fillers for panels are now illegal; I was told that the panelboard either had to have the factory knockout still in place or a breaker with no wire termination had to be installed. Is this true? If so, where can I find this information? NEC?

Who told you this? A panelboard replacement cover salesman? :)

wireguy8169

you mean I have to go around and take all the electrical tape covering the openings :D I havent heard anything to that nature but that doesn't mean much most people don't talk to me...No really applause is not needed...

I heard something to that affect awhile ago but never saw anything on it. Something to do with arc flash (please dont jump on me I have no idea what the particulars were) and that they will not protect if there is one in the panel. Or something along those lines. Sorry its not a more informative answer

wireguy8169

See 408.7 for the correct answer.

Good info, now that you pointed that out I remember that the issue being discussed was that those inserts sometimes leave a gap (be it very small) and either some company or individual was going to propose this as code update. Not sure if it ever came to fruition (them proposing it)...

Status
Not open for further replies.