6KVA UPS -Powerware

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlS

One of the install notes for this UPS mentions - UPS output ckts shall be installed in dedicated conduit systems and not shared with other electrical ckts. Unlike the other notes this one does not specify a section in the NEC.

The notes also mention UPS input and output conductors must be run thru separate conduits. Again - NEC section mentioned.

Can anyone comment on where I might find this to support the manual?? The UPS is for an industrial building for PLC loads.

hurk27

One of the install notes for this UPS mentions - UPS output ckts shall be installed in dedicated conduit systems and not shared with other electrical ckts. Unlike the other notes this one does not specify a section in the NEC.

The notes also mention UPS input and output conductors must be run thru separate conduits. Again - NEC section mentioned.

Can anyone comment on where I might find this to support the manual?? The UPS is for an industrial building for PLC loads.
The note is most likely for if the unit is used for a legally required system.

The only requirement in the NEC would be for emergency back up power, not for a stand by system, unless this unit is also design for legally required systems (which it might have this in there for that purpose) the NEC is mute on it, see article 700, the other reason is having inductive noise being introduced into the loads but I cant see that as a manufactures requirement unless it would cause regulation problems?

ceb58

I install the powerware 12-18kw units in our communications buildings a lot. One thing to remember in a way is to forget the NEC. They have there requirements in the installation manual. They have overdone the NEC requirements and that is what you follow. One example is for a unit being set up as 12KW The instructions state an 80amp OCP with #3 thhn wire.
When we install one we then call in for a start up. The tech. checks all these things and if it is not wired to Eaton's specks. they wont do the start up until it is correct. This insures that the factory warranty is in place for the unit. All so dont forget the disconnect on the UPS output to the switch.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The wire sizes specified in the UPS manual assume the input and output wires are ran in dedicated conduits. Otherwise, you would have to derate the wires, which would mean larger wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.