Existing Switchboard Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_pe

I need to replace an existing switchboard (early 80's) with a new circuit breaker distribution switchboard (vs. the old fused switches). I have a few questions. I don't know the conductor sizes on the old loads that will need to be re-fed (and extended) from the new switchboard. Is it ok to say match existing conductor sizes on my drawings? Will the contractor just assume the maximum conductor size on his bid and then see what it is in the field? I really have no way to open this equipment to see what is installed, and to be honest I don't feel like I'm qualified (no proper tools, arc flash training, etc). I also would like to know how a contractor would physically extend these existing conductors? What type of connector or physical device would be used to connect the old conductors to the new short extension on say (3) sets of 500 kcmil conductors? What type of connector or physical device would be used on smaller conductor sizes to 300 kcmil? If there are many options for this connection, please list a few so I can look into them further.

sparky=t

hire a qualified person to do the survey?, I would think you would want to verify existing fuse types and the downstream equipment they are feeding for fault calcs and arc flash hazard acessments.

Buck Parrish

I need to replace an existing switchboard (early 80's) with a new circuit breaker distribution switchboard (vs. the old fused switches). I have a few questions. I don't know the conductor sizes on the old loads that will need to be re-fed (and extended) from the new switchboard. Is it ok to say match existing conductor sizes on my drawings? Will the contractor just assume the maximum conductor size on his bid and then see what it is in the field? I really have no way to open this equipment to see what is installed, and to be honest I don't feel like I'm qualified (no proper tools, arc flash training, etc). I also would like to know how a contractor would physically extend these existing conductors? What type of connector or physical device would be used to connect the old conductors to the new short extension on say (3) sets of 500 kcmil conductors? What type of connector or physical device would be used on smaller conductor sizes to 300 kcmil? If there are many options for this connection, please list a few so I can look into them further.

J-box
conduit
trough
splitbolts
pressure connectors

See if the equipment has a name plate.
If not , horse power of motor(s) FLA , heat strips, chiller, etc... will have to be calculated

Ragin Cajun

I have been known to have the owner open the gear up so I can take hi-rez pictures. Even has one client who wouldn't let me take them because they thought the gear was so "dangerous", which it was! But I did get the pictures!

Is there ANY way you can get the board shut down for an inspection? Any existing drawings available? If not, all you can do is give it your best shot. You don't have x-ray vision and if the owner can't provide you a means to verify what's there, he simply has to accept the extra cost of dealing with the unknown.

If the owner can't shut it down for an inspection, how is he going to get it changed out? It's it's so "critical" a process, dealing with the "unknown" will just make the "big" shutdown more risky. That's life!

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.