small FHA wire protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

The small FHA wire protectors that are 1 1/2 '' wide seem to be approved to protect cable in a bored hole in 1 1/2 frame member when conductor. is less than 1 1/4 from face on member . How can this be when there is no protection down each side of framing were the cable enters and leaves the member? That starts me to wonder if the min 1 1/4 from edge is for parallel only since they will have much more chance to get hit with nail than cable just passing thru , and the passing thru only needs the protection at face of stud not down the edge :confused:

Last edited:

jetlag

Thanks I wire

Thanks I wire

You would need to use a stand off or stackers to get the cables away from the edges for 1.5" framing.

yes on parallel cables , we are tailking about bored holes , the 1.5 plates dont protect down side of member , yet they pass inspection. :roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never taken the 1.5" rule to mean to the side of the framing member, only back from its face.

jetlag

I've never taken the 1.5" rule to mean to the side of the framing member, only back from its face.

I think you mean 1 1/4 rule its the plate that is 1 1/2 . on cables fastened to side of framing it must be 1 1/4 from a radius from the edge of the stud. my question is that must not be for cables drilled thru at right angles because the plate doesnt protect the cable on each side yet they will pass inspection . if you run a cable paralllell to stud less than 1 1/4 from edge it wont pass inspection , so how does the drill thru pass for less than 1/ 1/4 with a plate with no protection on sides:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.