Interpretation needed on Art. 312.6(A), 312.6(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krneison

Our AHJ has recently decided that the wiring method that has been practiced for years in G.E. breaker enclosures, model no # SF250S, in the industrial plant we work in is no longer accepted:-? The conductor size is 3/0.

My biggest dilemma is how to interpret the measuring distance from lug to wall. I have attached a picture of the disconnect to this post to see exactly what I am referring to. We have the line coming in from the side bottom and the load coming in from the top of the disconnect. 312.6 (A) (1), I think would apply to this type of installation. The measurement, according to the note under the table says that "the bending space at terminals shall be measured in a straight line from the end of the lug or wire connector (in the direction that the wire leaves the terminal) to the wall barrier, or obstruction." I would think as per table 312.6(A), under one wire per terminal, you would need 4" from the end of the lug to the top of the enclosure. However, the AHJ is calling the 4" from the side of the enclosure to the A phase lug, therefore putting us in violation on the A phases of the Line and load. Now we have to attach 4x4 wireway to each side of the enclosure to account for the bending radius.

Last edited by a moderator:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I think the inspector is not interpreting the code section correctly, but if he is head strong "Good Luck".
I think you have it correct, if you read the notes it seems clear. The problem is his use of the word "deflection".

cowboyjwc

Staff member
My guess would be that somebody just went to training. I would ask him if he is sure that he understood what was being said. He may simply be mistaken because he is sure that's what he heard.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Show the inspector the note at the bottom of the table.

Note: Bending space at terminals shall be measured in a straight line from the end of the lug or wire connector (in the direction that the wire leaves the terminal) to the wall, barrier, or obstruction.

pete m.

I would have to imagine that to recieve a UL listing that the wire deflection was already taken into account for the size of the enclosure and the enclosed OCPD.

That is as long as the manufacturers installation instructions were followed.

Pete

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If your inspector insists on measuring to the sidewall, instead of to the top or bottom of the enclosure, I guess you could run your A phase conductors on the opposite side of the enclosure, and back across the other two wires to land on the A phase lug. That way, he would have to measure to one side of the enclosure for the B and C phases, and the other side for the A phases. Therefore, the 4" requirement would be met.

Steve

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No way would I move the feed because of his mistake. The note I posted is totally clear. If that doesn't work then I would go over his head.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No way would I move the feed because of his mistake. The note I posted is totally clear. If that doesn't work then I would go over his head.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Having said that, I don't see "line" and "load" labeled on that breaker.

"Know whut ah mean, Vern?"

krneison

Thanks, I agree. I don't know where this is heading at the moment, but engineering is heavily involved. It's just stinks that we are having to spend the extra time and material to attach wireway to each of these and then we find out that it was being interpreted wrong......

Status
Not open for further replies.