USE-2 cable for service entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEBen

Per NEC can USE type cable be used underground in a conduit from the meter socket to the first means of disconnect directly upon entering a premises? There is approximately 1 foot of conductor inside the disconnect in the boiler room of the facility. The diconnect is mounted on an outside concrete wall in the basement boiler room. Does Article 338.12 (B) (1) apply to this installation?

jetlag

No per 338.12(B) 1&2

Im not sure on commercial but on mobile home connection the use has to terninate at the panel disconnect and no more than 6 feet max into home. But use is underground only utility wire in that it is 3 wire and not intented for feeder and I really dont believe it is for going into panel , for feeder it has to have a grounding conductor added to make it 4 wire. Now use-2 alumiflex mobile home feeder with compact conductors is a different thing and is dual rated interior exterior and also by removing the green wire can be used up the mast for service and is sunlight resistant.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Im not sure on commercial but on mobile home connection the use has to terninate at the panel disconnect and no more than 6 feet max into home.

Straight 'USE' cannot enter any building or structure.

If it happens to be USE / RHW then it can enter.

jetlag

Straight 'USE' cannot enter any building or structure.

If it happens to be USE / RHW then it can enter.
I agree but they let it slide on mobile home hook up here because for years use is all they had before the use-2 mobile home feeder came out , that can run into panel . And yes I agree in reality the use should have ended in a junction out side and ser or something else ran into panel , that way when mobile home is moved the j box could stay and reconnect would be easier, but they dont have j box so they saw the use alose at ground level and take all they can with them .

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree but they let it slide on mobile home hook up here because for years use is all they had before the use-2 mobile home feeder came out , that can run into panel . And yes I agree in reality the use should have ended in a junction out side and ser or something else ran into panel , that way when mobile home is moved the j box could stay and reconnect would be easier, but they dont have j box so they saw the use alose at ground level and take all they can with them .

Jetlag there is no reason the USE should be brought into the panel. The USE can go to the meter and one could pipe it to the interior panel. I haven't done a trailer in 25 or more years but that is what we use to do.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The -2 indicates that the conductor is rated at 90 degrees C for both wet and dry locations. The -2 does not indicate that the conductor is dual rated.

Chris

My thoughts were that if it is rated for dry then it must be rated for indoor thus dual rating. I may be wrong, however I have not seen USE-2 that wasn't dual rated so I was guessing- I guess.

jetlag

My thoughts were that if it is rated for dry then it must be rated for indoor thus dual rating. I may be wrong, however I have not seen USE-2 that wasn't dual rated so I was guessing- I guess.

I can only answer for the use-2 alumiflex mobile home feeder. I know it is called dual rated and it can enter the building at least to first point of termination , and also can run up the mast and out weather head is also sun light resistant , but it is all 4 wire so take out the green wire if going up the mast, but there was a time when some poco around here required the ground to go up mast for a few years they claimed for lightning, but lost in court from installers claiming the were parallelling the neutral. it was the solid # 4 they wanted ran up there and not broken all the way to ground rod , it has to be slide thru the ground bar in outside disc an meter,, what a major screw up .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.