weak GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Is there such a thing as a weak GFCI? I have studied GFCI's extensively and have never heard of one described as weak. I have had several customers tell me they have weak GFCI's and 1 guy even said that after several years that a GFCI will become weak. Im just wondering where all these people are getting this "weak" GFCI theory from.

growler

I'm just wondering where all these people are getting this "weak" GFCI theory from.

Well some may get weak but some just get plain ornery and refuse to trip at all.

As 480sparky said I think they are just not operating within the design specifications.

I have had a few that were sickly and died off at a young age. :mad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have replaced a few GFCI receptacles because the homeowner wanted a cheap fix. It never fixed the problems. There was always something like water getting in somewhere on rainy days.

GG

One guy was an electronics engineer and he informed me that GFCI receptacles decline by 10% every year. So in 3 years a GFCI will only be functioning at 70%. I just said "Uh, yeah, thats it". I told him he needs GFCI's where required by the NEC. He said no way because his equipment is too sensitive and will trip a GFCI. I said then find someone else to install standard receptacles as Im not taking the liabilty.

Last edited:

Martinelli

I get one defective GFCI receptacle out of ten. I just had one yesterday that would trip the AFCI breaker every time you press the test button. I replaced it and everything works fine.

I use Leviton devices because they are the only brand that the supply houses carry in my area. Does anyone have better luck with other brands?

Most of the time we catch the defective devices during trim out, but sometimes they last a couple of weeks then fail. I hate having to do warranty work because of defective products.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I use Leviton devices because they are the only brand that the supply houses carry in my area. Does anyone have better luck with other brands?
There is your problem. I have used P&S for many, many years and never have problems with them. Sure they go bad over time due to lightning or whatever but as a new item I have never had a problem with them.

WinZip

For the past 10 yrs we have used only 20 amp rated GFCI receptacles , I don't know that I'm correct but it seems there built a little better and last longer.

480sparky

There is your problem. I have used P&S for many, many years and never have problems with them. Sure they go bad over time due to lightning or whatever but as a new item I have never had a problem with them.

In 17 years of using P&S, I can only recall one GFCI that was bad right out of the box.

haskindm

"Weak GFI" along with "nuisance tripping" are terms that need to be eliminated from the electrician's vocabulary. They are usually used as excuses for not installing something that is code required. Why does an AFCI breaker trip?
1. It senses an Arc Fault.
2. It senses an imbalance on its ground fault circuit.
3. It senses an overload.
4. It senses a ground fault (overload).
5. It is defective

I can think of no other reason for a breaker to trip. Which is the nuisance? All of them require remedial action by the electrician and that action should NOT be to replace it with a standard breaker!

It is easy enough to check a GFCI. If the "engineer's" "sensitive" equipment is causing a properly working GFCI breaker to trip, his equipment is DEFECTIVE and is a danger to him and anyone else that comes in contact with it! You can buy a very inexpensive GFCI indicator that that puts a ground fault of less than 5ma on a circuit to indicate that it is working properly and then increase the fault above 5ma where the device should trip (Greenlee 5708 . This should eliminate any fears about premature tripping. The majority of failed GFCI devices that I have come across have failed in the energized mode and the GFCI sensing circuitry is no longer operational. I understand that newer devices will failing the de-energized mode. I don't recall seeing any GFCI devices that indicated failure by tripping prematurely, but I am sure it happens.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
For the past 10 yrs we have used only 20 amp rated GFCI receptacles , I don't know that I'm correct but it seems there built a little better and last longer.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it has the 20 amp configuration, no more than dryer (30) and range (50) receptacles that may be same construction but accept different plugs. It may be that by buying 20 amp you're getting a better grade or brand?

Split Bolt

20 amp rated or 20 amp configuration? All of the brands that I use have 20 amp feed through ratings on their 15 amp configured GFCI receptacles.

I have noticed, through the years, that whenever I run into a GFI receptacle that has gone bad within a couple of years, it was wrapped with electrical tape by the installer!

Back in the early '90s, I installed a GFI receptacle in the hall bath of a house. When I connected it to the power, I heard a VERY LOUD buzzing sound. I disconnected power and ran into the bathroom to find thick smoke billowing from it! Replaced it with another and it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.