code enforcement or spec enforcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperTone

Is the electrical inspector only inspecting the permitted work and making sure it is code compliant or can he look at the prints from the electrical engineer and make sure you are following the prints exactly?

I would think he only inspects for code compliance and someone else would dive into the prints to be sure the specs are being followed (architect, electrical engineer, etc)

dereckbc

Staff member
Both. When the permit was applied for, the specs were inspected and approved. When construction is finished, they will check for code and spec compliance with the As Built specs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It depends on the local rules. Unless there is an adopted rule that says the inspector will enforce the plans and specs he cannot do that. He can only inspect to what ever rules have been adopted. In many cases that is only the code. The enforcement of the plans and specs becomes a contract issue between the owner or his engineer and the contractor.
Enforcement of the plans and specs by an inspector who works for the AHJ without an rule requiring or permitting such inspection is not legal and could end up with the AHJ in court.
Around here the inspectors can only enforce the code.

electricmanscott

Electrical Inspectors are God. They can inspect anything.

So some like to think. :D

As for the original question I think here in MA the inspector is a code enforcement official and that's it. As it should be. Why would an inspector be allowed or even want to be involved in what is really a quality control issue between private parties?

USMC1302

Agree with Don, although this has come up before and other areas are different. IMO it would be difficult to expect a municipal inspector to get involved in every project's spec to the degree an A/E should.

RICK NAPIER

It is up to local law. In nj it use to that we inspected per the codes and the plans, that was changed to be just per code. If the installation differs from the plans but is code compliant the most we can do is ask for revised plans.

sparky=t

there is a city here that will require that you follow submitted and reviewed plans, ie if it is not on the plan it will not pass until you re submit!

raider1

Staff member
In Utah, the licensing statutes require that an inspector inspect to the approved engineered plans as well as the code.

Chris

macmikeman

Here is the thing about it. Just because the jurisdiction has only adopted the nec as the rules to be enforced, a local judge will probably decide on the side of the inspection department. So it would be a sure fire waste of time to end up in court over an issue like this, unless we are talking about a forty story building. (in which case you had better be paying attention to the specs anyway).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Without legislation saying that the inspector is to inspect to plans and specs, I really doubt that the judge would side with the inspector for the enforcement of plans and specs where the job is in compliance with the adopted codes. However he would side with the engineer or owner in a suit to enforce the provisions of the contract which will include the plans and specs. The government, without legislation, has no right to enforce private contracts.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with this statute. Why get approved engineered plans if they do not have to be followed?
The do have to be followed, however in my opinion that is not a function of government. That is a contract dispute between the owner and contrator to be handled without the involvement of the inspection department.

markstg

Without legislation saying that the inspector is to inspect to plans and specs, I really doubt that the judge would side with the inspector for the enforcement of plans and specs where the job is in compliance with the adopted codes. However he would side with the engineer or owner in a suit to enforce the provisions of the contract which will include the plans and specs. The government, without legislation, has no right to enforce private contracts.

Sorry quoted wrong poster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.