Mobile home service panel in closet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Wow ... After reading that about 12 times, I've come up with the following translation. (Sorry):

They call it a "mobile trailer" when it works in their favor. When others refer to it that way, they get ticked off and inform us that it is a "manufacturered home."

Sometimes customers call because the customer has unplugged something and the paneling came off of the wall with the outlet in it. The receptacles that are used, from the factory, don't fasten to the stud--they have ears like a remodel box. To repair, I use a shallow nail on box of the appropriate size to cover the hole and install one receptacle and blank covers over the other gang(s).

I like to keep those little receptacles that are used, in the mobile home, to place on the end of extension cords. They're small and need no box. With an little silicone they're even watertight. (Really? If you silicone up the receptacle, how do you plug anything in?)

Is that all you have to add to topic ? correcting my grammer :confused:

GG

Ok, so I went and looked at the job. I guess I should have done that before I asked my questions. Anywho, the POCO pulled up right as I walked up to the pedistal. Its a 200 amp underground fed meter base and panel. The previous owner cut 8" of the wires from the 200 amp breaker that fed the panel inside the trailer. I told the POCO I was going to use split bolts and reconnect the feeder wires to the 200 amp breaker.

The POCO said If I did that they would not restore power as they do not allow split bolts, said they will fail, and I had to install new wire. What if I pull up 8" and land it at the panel outside and then go to the inside panel and make my splices there with the split bolts?

I have used 100 or so split bolts and never had 1 single problem so I dont see the need to waste my time and the owners money on pulling new wire becasue 8" was cut off the end of it. Is there a junction box under the trailer that the outdoor and indoor panel connect to with conduit or does the conduit go directly from the outdoor to the indoor panel? I could not get under the trailer to look, how does it normally come from the factory? Any ideas?

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Ok, so I went and looked at the job. I guess I should have done that before I asked my questions. Anywho, the POCO pulled up right as I walked up to the pedistal. Its a 200 amp underground fed meter base and panel. The previous owner cut 8" of the wires from the 200 amp breaker that fed the panel inside the trailer. I told the POCO I was going to use split bolts and reconnect the feeder wires to the 200 amp breaker.

The POCO said If I did that they would not restore power as they do not allow split bolts, said they will fail, and I had to install new wire. What if I pull up 8" and land it at the panel outside and then go to the inside panel and make my splices there with the split bolts?

I have used 100 or so split bolts and never had 1 single problem so I dont see the need to waste my time and the owners money on pulling new wire becasue 8" was cut off the end of it. Is there a junction box under the trailer that the outdoor and indoor panel connect to with conduit or does the conduit go directly from the outdoor to the indoor panel? I could not get under the trailer to look, how does it normally come from the factory? Any ideas?

The ones I've seen come with a 2" pvc conduit stubbed thru floor from panel, The wiring method from there would be done in the field, not always the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.