Outlet Added To Em Lighting Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Electrical

2005 NEC:

It would be very convenient to add an outlet for a 430W projector to an Exit dual flood unit. In my read of 700.12(F) this unit is likely on a lighting circuit. This is an old church and it may also have outlets on this circuit. Any violation to add an outlet for this 430W projector?

iwire

Staff member
Yes it is a violation.

If it is an Article 700 emergency circuit it cannot supply anything that is not required by code.

nakulak

As Bob said, you cannot add a general purpose recept to an emergency lighting ckt. However, this sounds like a general lighting ckt that just has an em battery pack wired to it (in which case it would be probably be fine). You need to determine what this ckt is, and then decide.

steveve1

Art. 700 applies to SYSTEMS, not luminaires with battery backup or stand alone devices. Your best bet is to explore the circuit to determine the existing load and see if will accept the load you intend to add. From a code standpoint, the emergency circuit doesn't come into play unless you have an emergency power source.

iwire

Staff member
I will say that I missed that he seems to be talking about an EBU and you could have a receptacle on with the supply to an EBU.

Now that said ..

Art. 700 applies to SYSTEMS, not luminaires with battery backup or stand alone devices.

Actually article 700 does apply to 'luminaires with battery backup or stand alone devices'.

Status
Not open for further replies.