How large access panel for ceiling mounted J Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I knew you were not the "run of the mill " rock hanger , those j boxes would have been concealed long ago :)

I am betting that the vast majority of time when a jbox is hidden behind the dry wall, there is no hurry to "fix" it, and everyone makes an effort not to notice.

Now if it is a box the electrican has to get to, like for a receptacle, that would be a different story.

growler

I am betting that the vast majority of time when a jbox is hidden behind the dry wall, there is no hurry to "fix" it, and everyone makes an effort not to notice.

Most of the time there is no reason to go looking for the buried boxes. But there are times when the homeowner wishes they had either gotten an electrician to relocate the boxes for put in some sort of access panel.

I went to one basement remodel where there were 5-6 buried boxes with grounds not made in any of them and loose wire nuts. All of this was noticed during a home inspection. Missing grounds and receptacles not working. I located all the boxes easy enough but that's a lot of holes to cut and they are normally not in good spots to put an access panel.

The best solution is to get the job done right in the first place.

I'm sure there are millions of buried boxes out there that are not giving anyone any trouble but I don't get to talk to those people. ;)

westelectric

To me, the box, cover, wire, staples look brand new. Maybe an old light box screwed to the bottom of the beam and recently moved to allow for sheetrock, but by whom....Just sayin, I cant be the only one thinking this?

Status
Not open for further replies.