Too many jurisdictions LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just a buddy of mine that is done ranting and raving about the NEC 2008, Local CITY electric codes, and the STATE codes!!

Rumor has it that the City and State boards dont 'get along' too well, so the city doesn't adopted all the state amendments to the NEC.

One issue that came up was the requirement on AFCI'S. Looks like one city has adopted the NEC 2008, and another city has NOT accepted the full NEC, because they accepted the STATE code that has limited the requirments of AFCI'S.

I know I wish It was just simple and every city follow the state amendments, but it doesnt always work that way. too many politics in adopting ELECTRICAL codes.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
So true. Here the State adopted a unified code in 2007. Local amendments are no longer allowed. But local AHJ's still interpret some things differently.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well, I just a buddy of mine that is done ranting and raving about the NEC 2008, Local CITY electric codes, and the STATE codes!!

Rumor has it that the City and State boards dont 'get along' too well, so the city doesn't adopted all the state amendments to the NEC.

One issue that came up was the requirement on AFCI'S. Looks like one city has adopted the NEC 2008, and another city has NOT accepted the full NEC, because they accepted the STATE code that has limited the requirments of AFCI'S.

I know I wish It was just simple and every city follow the state amendments, but it doesnt always work that way. too many politics in adopting ELECTRICAL codes.

This is kind of what happens when there isn't a unified state code. Here in NJ we have a state wide licensing program and state wide code with no local amendments. Works very well.

iwire

Staff member

Since last Jan, I have bid work in MA, ME, NH, RI, CT, NY, NJ, MD, DC, DE, VA.

With that I have to figure out licensing, permitting, local amendment and taxing requirements so forgive me if I think complaining about the rules in one State is kind of funny.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Here in the Phoenix metro area in 1999/2000, somewhere in there, all the jurisdictions tried to get together to have an omnibus amendments pow wow. It lasted one cycle.:grin:

masterinbama

There is a subdivision here that depending upon the street number you might be in Huntsville, Madison, Madison County, Limestone County or Athens. All of these jurisdictions are on either different code cycles or have different local amendments.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Michigan has the Michigan Residential Code which is an amendment and addition to the 05 NEC for res work, but uses the 08 NEC for commercial / industrial. The City of Grand Rapids not only has it's own code, but it's own testing and licensing as they don't accept a state license.

Other localities also have their own codes. I have found that the best approach is to contact the AHJ in any new area and tell him or her what you are up to and ask if there are any issues that may come up due to code particulars.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would be concerned about a city who has a code less restrictive then the state. I don't think you would be relieved of liability in a court room if you have a state code on the 2008 and a local code on 2005. The city may not enforce a newer code section, but if an incident occurred, that may not have if you had followed the more restrictive code, you may find yourself liable in a courtroom, because the courts are overseen by the state and not the city.
The one thing that gets me is a city that enforces something that they have not put in writing and made available as an amendment. One of our local city's doesn't recognize about half of art.590, but doesn't tell you that until you get called on it. :-?

This is kind of what happens when there isn't a unified state code. Here in NJ we have a state wide licensing program and state wide code with no local amendments. Works very well.

We have a state 'unified' code that basically includes the NEC 2008 only in most cases the state has more 'strigent' or strict requirements added to NEC 2008, the issue comes when certain 'cities' doesn't adopt ALL of the state code. I know one city that only adopted 'parts' of the state code and rest is the NEC 2008 AND their own local codes.

This created some confusion on one project I know of, where the state electric code had a more strict requirement on an install, but the city did not adopt that 'part' of the state code and so refers back to the NEC. So basically the city made it 'less' restrictive than the state, which in my opinion is BACKWARDS and more unsafe!! Probably just an oversite of some 'politics' with some city officials LOL .

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here the state adopts the code and then the jurisdictions must adopt it within six months. Local ammendments can make the code more restrictive, but not less restrictive, so things like AFCI's could not be deleated unless the state deleated them.

Status
Not open for further replies.