Office building lighting retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtfallsmikey

I am getting ready to do a very comprehensive lighting survey for the owner of the two buildings that I run. The main opportunities for upgrades are parking lot lighting (pole lights, 450 wt. metal halide bulbs) and parking garage lighting (single square fixtures, 175 wt. metal halide bulbs) and some misc. exterior lighting with 50,70,100 wt. metal halide bulbs. The interiors of the buildings use T-8 fixtures, the rest are CFL's. My question is, from an electrically related individual's standpoint, was there significant savings using LED's, inductive, etc. over conventional, and was it worth it in the end given the high costs associated with doing this?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I wonder about the cost savings over the long run. Led fixtures seem to be more than double that of CFL or MH. The longevity is there as they last much longer so less labor replacing bulbs. However the halflife output can be much greater than other types of fixtures. I would stick with name brands that have good test data as there are a lot of poor products out there.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am getting ready to do a very comprehensive lighting survey for the owner of the two buildings that I run. The main opportunities for upgrades are parking lot lighting (pole lights, 450 wt. metal halide bulbs) and parking garage lighting (single square fixtures, 175 wt. metal halide bulbs) and some misc. exterior lighting with 50,70,100 wt. metal halide bulbs. The interiors of the buildings use T-8 fixtures, the rest are CFL's. My question is, from an electrically related individual's standpoint, was there significant savings using LED's, inductive, etc. over conventional, and was it worth it in the end given the high costs associated with doing this?

take a look at this link:)http://www.oksolar.com/abctech/LED_lighting-cost.htm
http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/search.asp?cat=Lighting&subcat=Solar Lighting

westelectric

Savings? I suppose. Complaints from the people who occupy the space? Most likely. Been there, done that. Some big companies out there claiming to provide the same light output/lumens and save the owners a boat load of $. Tell that to the old lady filing papers in the corner of an already dim office where shes been working for 45 years and complaing that she cant see to begin with.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
One of my clients provides LED airport landing and taxiway lights. They expect the fixtures to last just about forever. I'd go with the LED lights wherever you can get the lumens that are required.

Where you can't reduce the load, I'd look into products such as these guys -- http://www.wattsupmeters.com -- and look into automated demand / lighting / whatever reduction. All the really cool buildings turn themselves off.

hurk27

I have been messing with some low end LEDs and still not liking the light output, these were strip lights over a counter, although they are promising, and if they get that half life a little better I can see some great savings, but as for other areas, I use T-5 RUUD high bays, 6 or 8 bulb, with the mirror reflectors, and RUUD pulse starts for most of all my outdoor lighting for parking lots and drives, side walks, I have used a few T-5 2x4 layins, that I was surprised at how much light they will produce with just 3 bulbs, but in high office areas we use a twin 42w CFL can with a ellipsoidal mirror reflector to produce a focused down light for task work ares, and a PLC controller to take the left on lights out of the operators hands, with motion detectors in places like closets and bathrooms, and other infrequently used rooms.

Residential I take different approach, mostly utilizing simple screw shell CFL's and other fixtures that homeowners can easily maintain, I avoid lighting that take special hard to find lamps, and for the most part simpler to maintain and functionally attractive, is my main ingredients.

conmgt

I'd have some manufacturers reps come out and do the survey with you and let them spec the job. Puts the responsibility on them if your client/boss gets complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.