Light Fix Over Tub/Shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAHTAH

I do not see any GFCI requirement (410.10-D) for the circuit supplying the light fixtures over a tub or a shower fixture. I think I recall that the fixture manufactures require GFCI protection for these fixtures in their installation instructions but cannot remember for sure. Does anyone know the actual requirement? Also if fixture is above the 8ft ceiling height measuring from the rim of the tub, do the requirements apply? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
GFCI protection is not required by the NEC. The 8' high tub zone in 410.10(D) has certain requirments. Those requirements are not applicable above the 8' dimension or outside of the zone.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a fixture for a shower that requires GFCI protection. However, almost every fan requires gfci protection when installed over the tub.

I have never seen a fixture for a shower that requires GFCI protection. However, almost every fan requires gfci protection when installed over the tub.

We've had this conversation here before, and I think I provided this link to you. A Shower light that requires gfci protection per the manufacters instructions, check out the last page.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/mediaBase/specifications/K-1665.pdf

Also, the local state code amendments require it in our area as well wheather the manufacter requires it or not.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=296-46B-410

WAC 296-46B-410 -010 Luminaires.

(1) All luminaires within an enclosed shower area or within five feet of the waterline of a bathtub must be enclosed, unless specifically listed for such use; these luminaires, with exposed metal parts that are grounded, must be ground fault circuit interrupter protected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I wonder if it is because that is a low voltage can. Are all there cans for showers requiring GFCI protection.

Certainly different areas could have their own amendments but NEC does not req. unless the mfg does. This is the first one I have seen but I never use LV in a shower.

I wonder if it is because that is a low voltage can. Are all there cans for showers requiring GFCI protection.

Certainly different areas could have their own amendments but NEC does not req. unless the mfg does. This is the first one I have seen but I never use LV in a shower.

Im not sure if all their cans for showers require it or not. The story I have heard about why our state require it is because someone claim to have gotten shocked off a 'shower' light. It was found to have not been sealed properly (have to remove the trim to get to the bulb) and the heat and steam took its toll on the egc, water accumalted in the light and corroded the egc, that created high impedence and wouldn't clear a fault. So the trim/skin of that light was energized with 120volts

Now how the 'accumulated' water stream drip down from the light onto the person during taking a shower and make a 'connection' does seem a bit far to me but it is possible and its cheap insurance to just put it on a gfci. It was said that both the manufacturer and EC was listed in the lawsuit. I don't know if its true or not or if the person won, I heard it was settled out court. This was a some years ago.

Even in areas that dont require it, sometimes its just 'cheaper' to buy the little insurance than to pay a 'settlement' and attorney's fee's even though you were in compliance with the local electric codes IMO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In order to win they would have to prove the install was not done legally. I have installed hundreds of shower cans and there are millions all over the place without GFCI protection. I will take my chances on installing as the NEC calls it unless the manufacturer sticks their nose in it. If this was a real issue I guarantee the manufacturers would require it on all cans.

In order to win they would have to prove the install was not done legally. I have installed hundreds of shower cans and there are millions all over the place without GFCI protection. I will take my chances on installing as the NEC calls it unless the manufacturer sticks their nose in it. If this was a real issue I guarantee the manufacturers would require it on all cans.

Well, have you ever heard of a person 'winning' even when they 'lose' . I hear from people alot that sometimes its just better to settle than pay the expense of hiring an attorney to defend you in a suit even though its frivilous! This is off topic a little but I hear about one lady who mortgaged her house to defend her son in a false accusation and they are left with the legal bills. Ridiculous!!

Apparently this convinced the state electric board enough to change the code seeing that the expense of installing a gfci is very small!!

Status
Not open for further replies.