New 2011 require no more 2 wire outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how some areas are going to enfore the 'replacement' outlet rules. Since the replacement of any receptacles have to be T.R. in houses. Im told there are no exceptions for the old 2 wire nongrounding type receptacles, meaning, you can no longer replace a nongrounding receptacle with a non grounding receptacle. it would have to be a t.r. gfci with a sticker of 'no equipment' ground.

Are any areas having any local ' amendments' to allow the 2 wire replacement with 2 wire??

macmikeman

I wonder how some areas are going to enfore the 'replacement' outlet rules. Since the replacement of any receptacles have to be T.R. in houses. Im told there are no exceptions for the old 2 wire nongrounding type receptacles, meaning, you can no longer replace a nongrounding receptacle with a non grounding receptacle. it would have to be a t.r. gfci with a sticker of 'no equipment' ground.

Are any areas having any local ' amendments' to allow the 2 wire replacement with 2 wire??

Well, umm, we haven't adopted the 2011 code yet.....

M4gery

Just use a GFCI breaker. Altho it's more expensive than a receptacle, it saves time hunting down the first receptacle in the circuit.

Just use a GFCI breaker. Altho it's more expensive than a receptacle, it saves time hunting down the first receptacle in the circuit.

WHAT???!!! I think you misunderstood my post. You would not need to do all of that, its just when 'one' non grounding receptacle goes bad you would just replace that with a 'non grounding receptacle' cost here is about $1.19.

Now since you have to have t.r. for replacements according to the 2011 NEC, I wonder if there are any local amendments that will 'delete' that section and allow the non grounding receptacle replace with non grounding receptacles non t.r. type.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Brother don't worry-- here is the code on that. The 2011 helped us where the 2008 didn't.

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units.
In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper-resistant:
(1) Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor.
(2) Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.
(3) A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one
place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).
(4) Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

480sparky

Brother don't worry-- here is the code on that. The 2011 helped us where the 2008 didn't.

406.12 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units.
In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.
Exception: Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper-resistant:
(1) Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor.
(2) Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.
(3) A single receptacle or a duplex receptacle for two appliances located within dedicated space for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one
place to another and that is cord-and-plug connected in accordance with 400.7(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8).
(4) Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

Now look down 406.4(D) a little further.

(5) Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. Listed tamper resistant receptacles shall be provided where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are required to be tamper-resistant elsewhere in this Code.

ericsherman37

On a related note (sorry if it's been brought up before - I haven't done a forum search on the topic)... how are these things legal?

adapter_300.jpg

If you have an ungrounded 2-prong receptacle, then there's probably no EGC present in its box. So if you plug that little dingle-wizzy in, and install the receptacle trim screw through the little green metal tab, you're still not grounding anything.

I imagine the instructions that come with one of those things say "Do not install on receptacles with no EGC present" or some such, but every time I see these things at the hardware store, they're just piled into a bin with no packaging or instructions or anything.

Again, sorry if this has been discussed previously. Just baffled by these things.

480sparky

On a related note (sorry if it's been brought up before - I haven't done a forum search on the topic)... how are these things legal?

If you have an ungrounded 2-prong receptacle, then there's probably no EGC present in its box. So if you plug that little dingle-wizzy in, and install the receptacle trim screw through the little green metal tab, you're still not grounding anything.

I imagine the instructions that come with one of those things say "Do not install on receptacles with no EGC present" or some such, but every time I see these things at the hardware store, they're just piled into a bin with no packaging or instructions or anything.

Again, sorry if this has been discussed previously. Just baffled by these things.

There's probably no listing on the thing.

adapter_300.jpg

Yes they came up before, I brung it up a few years ago. I was told they were not ul listed if i recall correctly,

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Yes they came up before, I brung it up a few years ago. I was told they were not ul listed if i recall correctly,

Again, sorry if this has been discussed previously. Just baffled by these things

maby the 2014 code will out law those gadgets.

Last edited:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Okay, but they've listed all sorts of them already (I googled it), and I can't see the adapter changing much. Unless maybe they integrate some sort of GFCI device into them.
20101004-00:37 EDT
This gadget was invented so the consumer could plug in stuff that required a equipment ground and should never have been legal in the first place because the consumer in genral does not understand how electrical wiring works :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.