24VDC Load Tap Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 24VDC 40amp fuses feeding 4 terminal blocks that have 8awg wire, in a Nema4x electrical panel. The general forman is requesting to use 10awg wire, 4 of them as tap conductors off the terminal blocks to a 40amp rated device 90-100 feet away. I think it violates the tap rules because the device is rated at 40amps, even though the device only has 10awg terminal blocks, thus the formans request. Does 24VDC follow the same tap rules as 120v 240v 480v, and what are my options? The device is just powering small amperage devices that total up to about 15 amps, but the manufacturer won't come off 40amps for some reason.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have 24VDC 40amp fuses feeding 4 terminal blocks that have 8awg wire, in a Nema4x electrical panel. The general forman is requesting to use 10awg wire, 4 of them as tap conductors off the terminal blocks to a 40amp rated device 90-100 feet away. I think it violates the tap rules because the device is rated at 40amps, even though the device only has 10awg terminal blocks, thus the formans request. Does 24VDC follow the same tap rules as 120v 240v 480v, and what are my options? The device is just powering small amperage devices that total up to about 15 amps, but the manufacturer won't come off 40amps for some reason.

I am having a little trouble understanding just what you are asking.

40A @ 24VDC is less than 1000VA so potentially it could be a limited energy circuit and the rules are a little different there.

I personally would not do it, but I don't think it is especially dangerous. I'd run #8 just on GP.

I am having a little trouble understanding just what you are asking.

40A @ 24VDC is less than 1000VA so potentially it could be a limited energy circuit and the rules are a little different there.

I personally would not do it, but I don't think it is especially dangerous. I'd run #8 just on GP.
Thanks, just a gut check, and you said what I thought you would.

dbaird

Its the allowable voltage drop of your 100 FT. tap conductors based upon their respective loads you have to look at to determine their conductor sizing. What amps are they seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.