Run #6 bare copper across bottoms of floor joists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any and all of that. My point is that when one has to run 80 feet or so from the panel at one end of the house all the way to the opposite corner to pick up the water main, I would rather not have to drill all those joists if I don't have to.

iwire

Staff member
Any and all of that. My point is that when one has to run 80 feet or so from the panel at one end of the house all the way to the opposite corner to pick up the water main, I would rather not have to drill all those joists if I don't have to.

Drilling the joists to protect a GEC from damage is not specifically allowed like it is for NM.

Yes an inspector could certainly make that call but they could also still say it is subject to damage.

My suggestion would be to run $5.00 worth of strapping as a running board and be done with it. (This could also be shot down in the inspector decides it is subject to damage.:grin:)

If you move up to 4 AWG things get easier. :)

All good comments. Thanks. What I was hoping for was someone who had an inspector shoot this down based on the "subject to damage" wording and how that ruling was successfully argued against.. Maybe I'll simply avoid any issue by using the sill plates or bored holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.