Residential theoretical ? about "outlet"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dweeber

All,

My question is in Article 100, the definition of "outlet". Is a blank-face GFCI with and L.E.D. indicator on it an outlet?

My search of older threads gave me too many results, and most of them I didn't fully get.

Thanks in advance,

D.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would say, technically, the LED is an outlet.
I would say instead that the presence of the LED is what turns the outlet box into an outlet. The LED itself is just a load. Indeed, if I were to try to be technical, I would say that the point at which the wires (having entered the box from the conduit) are screwed onto the GFCI/LED device is the "outlet." :roll:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
So does that make a fuse with an led indicator light "an outlet" ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, technically, the box becomes the outlet because of the device installed in it, not the device itself.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I still don't see the indicator LED as making this anything more than a switch or a controller and do not see this point on the wiring system as an outlet.

Dweeber

Thanks to all that have replied. I was along the lines of thinking that it is a very minute detail, the L.E.D. utilizing electricity.

Believe it or not, I appreciate the excruciating exactness of critical thinking.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.