Power meter for capturing transients

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseShift

Does anyone know of a good portable power meter for capturing subcycle transients such as inrush currents, and voltage transients?

I'm also looking for something that would show phasors.

mpross

Power Quality Meter

Power Quality Meter

PhaseShift,

Try looking at Dranetz BMI equipment. I have had good luck with this equipment in the past. However I don't remember it's max sampling rate for sub-cycle values. It does display phasors...

Good luck,
Matt

Electric-Light

Fluke has something like that. Look in their power quality section. I think its a four digit model #. It's like a scope meter with features specificlaly designed to catch glitches.

Anything Dranetz BMI is usually uber expensive

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I had one of these (until some drug addict thought it would get him a fix). I know AEMC takes some flak for "not being Fluke" but I liked it. I paid around $3000 for it 5 or 6 years ago, but I knew the rep and got a deal on a "sample" unit. I think they are around $5K now.

jdsmith

I have a Fluke 43B single phase unit and a Fluke 435 3 phase unit. I bought the 43B new in box from ebay for a reasonable price. The 435 costs more than each of my first two cars.

I've had good luck with both of them. We had a UPS with an inverter that was unpredictably failing and going to bypass, so I connected the 43B to the inverter output in transient record mode. We sent the captured transient to the UPS manufacturer and they promptly diagnosed the problem and sent a serviceman the next day to replace the inverter and inverter control board. I've done some 3 day and 7 day logging as well as harmonics measurement with the 43B as well.

I bought the Fluke 435 to use as a portable 3 phase meter and logger to capture inrush events, perform load studies, and troubleshoot. I've used it a few times but I'm not as comfortable with it yet as I am with the 43B, mainly because I've had the 43B longer and have more experience with the unit.

brian john

I have several Fluke 435's, several 1750's quite a few RPM's, I really like the 1750's.

Have used Dranetz and Hyoki's, not bad, but for ease of use the 1750.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I have several Fluke 435's, several 1750's quite a few RPM's, I really like the 1750's.

Have used Dranetz and Hyoki's, not bad, but for ease of use the 1750.

you had me at 1750 :)

That PDA wireless monitor looks convenient. I miss the days when I had access to nice test equipment you lucky fellow you.

Status
Not open for further replies.