unused panels as junction boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
a new service is to be installed in a dwelling (existing is 60 amp with fuses), does the code permit the existing panel box to be used as a termination point? (splice box). I had planned on removing the guts from the panel box and using it as a splice box? permissible and if so what is the code section

The building codes also have a provision for "used material". That can be found in the Admin section of the codes.

In NYS, it basically says that the products cannot be reused if they do not meet the current codes/Standards of the product.

An inspector from Conn called me today, asking about used material. I mentioned to him what I wrote above. He checked Conn's Admin, and it states the AHJ has to approve the used product.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we do it.

as for the cover, we get a sheet metal cover cut @ a local machine shop. runs about $50 for average resi cabinet size.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only thing you may have to do is secure the door or replace it with a solid cover.
Why does this have to be done. I have seen JB's with a hinged cover. I would think as long as the cover door closes it should not be an issue. Can you direct me to an article that req. this?

iwire

Staff member
The building codes also have a provision for "used material". That can be found in the Admin section of the codes.

In NYS, it basically says that the products cannot be reused if they do not meet the current codes/Standards of the product.

It is not being 'reused' it is being 'used'.

Or would that code require I replace K&T wiring when I do a panel swap and disconnect the K&T from the panel for a few minutes? :)

It is not being 'reused' it is being 'used'.

Or would that code require I replace K&T wiring when I do a panel swap and disconnect the K&T from the panel for a few minutes? :)

a new service is to be installed in a dwelling (existing is 60 amp with fuses), does the code permit the existing panel box to be used as a termination point? (splice box). I had planned on removing the guts from the panel box and using it as a splice box? permissible and if so what is the code section

The way I read this, is an existing service enclosure is being reused as a splice box.

lakee911

Yes existing service panel box will be used as a splice box. Still haven't gotten a clear answer whether this is permissible or not.??:confused:

Yes you can do it. If it's not in the code as disallowed, then I would think that you can do it. I'd use the existing cover provided that it latches shut. The enclosure is listed as is the cover and if you fabricated a new cover it wouldn't be listed.

glene77is

Yes you can do it. If it's not in the code as disallowed, then I would think that you can do it. I'd use the existing cover provided that it latches shut. The enclosure is listed as is the cover and if you fabricated a new cover it wouldn't be listed.

Can the HomeOwner stick his hand inside this junction box ?
That would be reason enough for a new cover, screwed on tight.
That is the practice I've seen, new cover, screwed on tight.

IMO, you could drill/tap for machine bolts to hold the "door" closed.

ceb58

The only thing you may have to do is secure the door or replace it with a solid cover.

Why does this have to be done. I have seen JB's with a hinged cover. I would think as long as the cover door closes it should not be an issue. Can you direct me to an article that req. this?

That is why I said MAY and OR. The times I have done this I have secured the door with screws if for no other reason but to help keep unqualified persons out.

TOOL_5150

Heres a recent job where I did just that.

Before cut over:
imag0292.jpg

And after the cutover:
imag0294.jpg

I just used sheet metal screws on the old cover to keep it closed.

~Matt

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Heres a recent job where I did just that.

Before cut over:
imag0292.jpg

And after the cutover:
imag0294.jpg

I just used sheet metal screws on the old cover to keep it closed.

~Matt

Won't the shelving (when it's re-installed) hold the covers closed? LOL.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.