EMT Tracer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to trace empty emt that is behind walls and ceilings? I cannot imagine putting some sort of a signal on it because its' signal will bleed out on the metal building that it is strapped to.
I have been thinking about some sort of an audible signal.

Thank you,

danickstr

Thank you LHarrington,
Will I be able to hear the air coming out of the pipe at the other end?

depends on the pressure and CFI's you dare to push into it.:)

edit: if you have access to an AT-200x, that may also be able to hook up to it and give you a rough idea, since it traces single conductors. Amprobe makes them.

Last edited:

Ravenvalor

depends on the pressure and CFI's you dare to push into it.:)

edit: if you have access to an AT-200x, that may also be able to hook up to it and give you a rough idea, since it traces single conductors. Amprobe makes them.

I believe the signal will bleed out into the metal building that the emt is strapped to.

480sparky

I will be satisfied if I can find the other end of the emt.

I would start by finding what circuits run into it, and how they are labeled on the cover. See what other circuits go in the same pipe, and see what they are labeled as.

Do they seems to go to a certain area or in an obvious direction? If so, think, "How would I have run this pipe with these circuits in them?"

You can probably get pretty close to the other end with just that.

CPorter

EMT Tracer

Try the Amprobe TMULD 300 Kit Ultrasonic Leak Detector. If you can get the transmitter into a juction box and close it off the ultrasonic signal will propagate through the conduit. Every where there is an opening the will be a bit of leakage allowing you to trace the route.

Ravenvalor

I would start by finding what circuits run into it, and how they are labeled on the cover. See what other circuits go in the same pipe, and see what they are labeled as.

Do they seems to go to a certain area or in an obvious direction? If so, think, "How would I have run this pipe with these circuits in them?"

You can probably get pretty close to the other end with just that.

The emt is empty.
Thanks,

danickstr

the only reason i thought of trying the Amprobe is that he said its empty and the end of a run, so there is a slight chance that it could be traced partway, ro that it is an orphan run that has no bonding, unless the walls are metal studs, then my idea is worthless:roll:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Well, then........... never mind.

Is it marked next to the panel or even inside the panel ("Spare to _________")?

:confused:

I would think he determined the conduit was empty by opening the panel, so obviously he wouldn't be asking this question if it had been labeled....

Since it's empty, I'd probably try CLEAN DRY compressed air too.

480sparky

:confused:

I would think he determined the conduit was empty by opening the panel, so obviously he wouldn't be asking this question if it had been labeled....

Since it's empty, I'd probably try compressed air too.

Then again, the panel may not be labeled, or labeled correctly.

I've traced empty pipes by using two people and a piece of PVC pipe. Cut the PVC long enough to reach from your mouth to the pipe in question. "Play" it like a brass music instrument, and have the other person go around listening for your 'toot'. Sounds corny, and looks really stupid, but it works.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Then again, the panel may not be labeled, or labeled correctly.

I've traced empty pipes by using two people and a piece of PVC pipe. Cut the PVC long enough to reach from your mouth to the pipe in question. "Play" it like a brass music instrument, and have the other person go around listening for your 'toot'. Sounds corny, and looks really stupid, but it works.

Why not use one of these instead?

s7_019390_999_01

:D

jeremysterling

Is a fishtape too obvious? Fiberglass fishtape if possibly energized?

Or instead of LP air, try drawing a vacuum with a shop vac if that is easier to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.