Studying for Master, load calcs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwible

I have been studying for the NH Masters, having difficulty grasping load calcs for dwellings, non-dwellings, etc. Using Snapz software as well.
1) Snapz says that you add in largest motor load at 125%, do you do that for the optional? I don't see that in the NEC Annex examples.
2) Is there such a thing as standard and optional calcs for non-dwellings?
3) For non-dwellings, is lighting taken at 125% or is that just for circuit sizing? Same for show lighting, is that taken at 125% for load calcs, or is that just for circuit sizing?
4) Why is this such a PITA?
Thanks in advance,
-Tom

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Look at Article 220 again, and this time, take a piece of paper and cover any text that is not bold. Start writing an outline of the Article.

For Example:

Part I : General

(Leave Space)

Part II: Branch Circuit Load Calculations

(Leave Space)

Etc

Then, fill in the gaps with the sections, subsections, etc.

I know this may not sound very helpful, but I think if you take the time to diagram the Article, these answers and many more will become apparent. The entire code is one big outline, and in outlining this Article I think you will master it, so that you have confidence as you enter the test.

luckylerado

Do not spend too much of your time worrying on this as there are almost 0 questions on the test relating to load calcs. At least the Missouri (Prometric) and Anrkansas (Prov) masters tests had few to none. I do not know anything about the NH test but I found the best way to study is to get a good book of test questions and drill baby drill. This helps you know where answers are likely to be found in the book. Don't get me wrong; knowing load calcs is important but may only constitute 1% of your test.

Look at Article 220 again, and this time, take a piece of paper and cover any text that is not bold. Start writing an outline of the Article.

For Example:

Then, fill in the gaps with the sections, subsections, etc.

I know this may not sound very helpful, but I think if you take the time to diagram the Article, these answers and many more will become apparent. The entire code is one big outline, and in outlining this Article I think you will master it, so that you have confidence as you enter the test.

When students get confused and seem to hit a brick wall, I suggest a very similar treatment for studying. This is a very good idea to start with.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Do not spend too much of your time worrying on this as there are almost 0 questions on the test relating to load calcs.

(snip)

Don't get me wrong; knowing load calcs is important but may only constitute 1% of your test.
While I agree that you can get lucky and have few load calcs, I would recommend getting comfortable enough with the material that if you get a bad roll of the dice you can still hold your own.

Tests are expensive, better to be prepared to pass the first time. :)

tomwible

OK, good advise for studying, thanks. Of course I was looking for clarification but I will dig deeper and see.

Thanks again!

-Tom

wireguy8169

That was an excellent question, I am taking my test tomorrow and though I feel I am ready, that is the one part that i am a bit shakey on just cause there are quite a few ways to do it. I am going to get back out the books and do the outline that was suggested.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.