ARC Flash protection level for neon tranformer work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyB

what would be the correct level of arc flash protection for live neon testing or troubleshooting on the secondary side of a 277/15KV 60 MA transformer?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think there is an arc flash hazard there...only a shock hazard. Gloves and tools rated for the voltage should be all you need.

Electric-Light

what would be the correct level of arc flash protection for live neon testing or troubleshooting on the secondary side of a 277/15KV 60 MA transformer?

The only arcing issue with that (as well as instant start HF fluorescent) is that if a wire comes loose or connection becomes weak, it will continue to arc and melt wires or set something on fire.

MikeNekiM

To say that there is NO arc FLASH hazards associated with any type of transformer is ridiculous.While neon trasnformers are designed to have a high output voltage with a low output current to light the required diameter tube, they still have the potential to arc and flash. While it would be extremely uncommon for a neon transformer to flash, it is possible under the right circumstances.

More commonly, they're extreme fire hazards. I think that a certain level of arc flash prtotection should be used, not necessarily for the flash part in which there would be hot spewing metal flying but rather for the purpose of the transformer/ GTO wire arcing to the operator potentially causing the material worn to combust.

It also depends on the style of transformer as well. Smething like a Ventex transfomrer which has no secondary terminals exposed and a GFI built in has ALMOST no chance of flashing. On the other hand, something like Frances
P5KA2NG style transformer has a removable cover and requires you to expose the inner workings of the transformer to diagnose which has a MUCH higher chance of flashing.

I highly doubt anyone here would put there face next to a neon transformer that you have to service/diagnose and say "it won't flash". :grin:

zog

I thinkk you are confusing a flashover and an arc flash. With a tiny transformer like that you just won't have enough energy to sustain an arc, thus produce any signifigant Ei. not 1.2 cal/cm2 anyways, which is the only time you become concerned about it.

MikeNekiM

I thinkk you are confusing a flashover and an arc flash. With a tiny transformer like that you just won't have enough energy to sustain an arc, thus produce any signifigant Ei. not 1.2 cal/cm2 anyways, which is the only time you become concerned about it.

I beg to differ....I think there is more then enough energy in THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCE for sustainable arc resulting in injury.

One cal/cm2 is equivalent to the amount of energy produced by a cigarette lighter in one second...or equivalent to a second degree burn.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Given the size of the branch circuit feeding the transformer, I doubt that you could come up with any condition at the transformer that would create an arc with an incident energy that exceeds 1.2cal/cm?.

hurk27

I beg to differ....I think there is more then enough energy in THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCE for sustainable arc resulting in injury.

One cal/cm2 is equivalent to the amount of energy produced by a cigarette lighter in one second...or equivalent to a second degree burn.

I think what everyone is trying to say is the secondary of the neon transformer will not produce any kind of an explosive flash that a high energy arc flash would, even if you were to short the secondarys it would cause nothing to happen, the arc is there but not the energy, we used to even make Jacobs ladders out of them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The OP is asking about troubleshooting....about the only thing that 70E permits you to do with the circuit energized. To do the troubleshooting you will need PPE the hazard. In this case, there would only be a shock hazard and voltage protection PPE would be required, but not arc flash PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.