PV Inspectors Gone Wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

Hello gang, I Haven't been here in a while... been busy relocating from FL back to PA!

This is a new one! I got a call from a fellow electrician asking me for a little advice on doing a solar pv system... he has run into a problem with the 120% rule for backfeeding... 200 amp service and 60 amps of inverters... I suggested replacing the 200 amp Mainbreaker with a 175 or 150 if the load calcs permit it. (To avoid a line side connection) He said he already suggested that to the inspector & he said NO because "the panel is rated for 200 Amps, Nothing less"!?!?!?

I said WHAT? I suggested contacting Square D for a list of Main Breakers that were listed for that panel.
I've never heard of a "Minimum" ampacity rating for a Main Breaker... and I doubt it exists... any comments?

ty

Lol. The horror stories are endless with some of the very unknowledged pa inspectors that
I come accross. There are many good inspectors, but the bad ones get all the glory.
One of them will not accept a cutler hammer dc disconnect, only square d.
But then again, you should see what they actually pass! Undersized conductors, incorrect
Bondidng,(or no bonding at all), and many other violations and safey issues that they don't
Pick up on.

You know that cutler hammer makes a 200 amp loadcenter with plug on neutrals? The bus is
Oversized specifically for pv use.
But in you situation, i'd really concider a line side tap.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess if the inspector were correct then you would need a 200 amp load on every panel otherwise it won't work with only 150 amps. :grin::-?

davedottcom

Luckily, it's not my job!

I suggested 3 options to him:

A) Load cals & Get documentation from Square D stating it's fine to use a smaller breaker

or

B) Replace the panel & feeders with 225 amp equip.

or

C) Line side connection

elohr46

Hello gang, I Haven't been here in a while... been busy relocating from FL back to PA!

This is a new one! I got a call from a fellow electrician asking me for a little advice on doing a solar pv system... he has run into a problem with the 120% rule for backfeeding... 200 amp service and 60 amps of inverters... I suggested replacing the 200 amp Mainbreaker with a 175 or 150 if the load calcs permit it. (To avoid a line side connection) He said he already suggested that to the inspector & he said NO because "the panel is rated for 200 Amps, Nothing less"!?!?!?

I said WHAT? I suggested contacting Square D for a list of Main Breakers that were listed for that panel.
I've never heard of a "Minimum" ampacity rating for a Main Breaker... and I doubt it exists... any comments?

You certainlly can reduce the size of the Main CB if load calcs permit it. Which County in Pa are you located? If in Peco's jurisdiction you will have to add a meter base to read the outgoing PV power, so a line side connection may be the better option.

davedottcom

Which County in Pa are you located? If in Peco's jurisdiction you will have to add a meter base to read the outgoing PV power, so a line side connection may be the better option.

I'm in Lehigh Co. But I'm Not sure which Co.the job is in (it's Not my job) But, it is a PECO jurisdiction & yes (3) meters are required!

Utility IN
Utility OUT
Customer REC meter (to meter energy credits)

Wow, what a pain!

elohr46

I'm in Lehigh Co. But I'm Not sure which Co.the job is in (it's Not my job) But, it is a PECO jurisdiction & yes (3) meters are required!

Utility IN
Utility OUT
Customer REC meter (to meter energy credits)

Wow, what a pain!

perfect, just do your line side tap in the outgoing meter.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Some localities do not allow a line side tap! So be aware of the different jurisdictions.

elohr46

Great idea, I was picturing a troff.

I get the feeling you've done this before! ;)

I haven't, but I have inspected many that have. Milbank Meter Co. has load tap connectors that go in their meter base just for this purpose, makes the tap real neat and clean. Go to their website and look up catalog #K5022 and #K4977.

Status
Not open for further replies.