Old work steel boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telc

Which style do you guys prefer if you need to use one. I like the first over the TigerGrips. I can get a tigher hole for the box.

"U" Support
0526.jpg

Tigergrip
0517.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't like the version of 2. those folding brackets are junk. I was weined on the flip out style.
Try to re-use those if you need to pull another wire or something.

480sparky

Third vote for the madison / battleship / box support / f-strap / ice skates / rabbit ears / steamboat / two men in a boat / hold-its / box cleat.

The U-grip and tiger are dedicated boxes, and cannot be used for much else other than old work. A standard box has many other uses, and keeps me from having to carry a bunch of different types of boxes around on the van.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
None of the above. We prefer the T&B OWC or old work clips. Although lately the supply house has been sending some knockoffs that strip on insertion. We usually throw those in the dumpster and reorder by part number with no substitutions.

Telc

I've really never had any luck with these.

What kind of issues have you had? Only time I have seen problems is with you have a outlet that gets alot of use and plugged into alot. The Madisons can dig into the back of the sheetrock and it can loosen up or break the sheetrock.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
What kind of issues have you had? Only time I have seen problems is with you have a outlet that gets alot of use and plugged into alot. The Madisons can dig into the back of the sheetrock and it can loosen up or break the sheetrock.

That's the issues.;)

dhalleron

Third vote for the madison / battleship / box support / f-strap / ice skates / rabbit ears / steamboat / two men in a boat / hold-its / box cleat.

The U-grip and tiger are dedicated boxes, and cannot be used for much else other than old work. A standard box has many other uses, and keeps me from having to carry a bunch of different types of boxes around on the van.

I vote for the same, but I thought they were Jiffy Hangers or Patton Hangers or Madison Straps.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I vote for the same, but I thought they were Jiffy Hangers or Patton Hangers or Madison Straps.
I'll add the sixth or seventh vote for the Madison Strips.

And as for their name, I've always known them as EZEins (pronounced "easy ins").

I like that the push-pull receptacle use forces are confined in a straight line through the drywall between the plaster ear and the EZEin. In both the U-grip and tiger grip the push-pull force is in a diagonal through the drywall. The longer the lever, the greater the force on the drywall.

Have to say, until Mark's comment about masonry, I didn't think there was any use at all for the "tiger grips".

And, in my opinion, the key to an installation that withstands heavy receptacle stresses is to carefully cut to leave the greatest amount of undisturbed wall under the plaster ears and to pull up the EZEins snug with no looseness. . . . That said, if the forces are going to be truly heavy, mounting beside a stud and using an entirely different type of box is the only solution.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Another Madison fan. I will add I always remove the top and bottom holding brackets, take my klines and pull the 6/32 ears back to 90? from the face of the box then reinstall the brackets evenly and slightly forward of the face.

M. D.

Chris I'm not getting what you are talking about,. as for the question I have never used either of the ones shown , but if it is m.c. cable I would use maddogs if it's n.m. plastic old work from slater .

Status
Not open for further replies.