touch dimmer going crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends, have any of you experienced plug in style touch dimmers going crazy? I have traced one problem to a direct TV receiver. I instaled a leviton noise filter but it did nothing. What is the easiest way to find the offenders and how to deal with them. In the past a noise filter worked great with an interfering transformer (for low voltage lifhting) in regards to a DHC lighting system. Thanks for any info.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Many "touch sensors" operate on a change in capacitance that can be susceptible to EMI or RF.

One of the easiest ways to identify offenders is with a spectrum analyzer.
Excluding that as an option I would opt for turning each electrical appliance on/off , one at a time, to locate the offender. Keeping in mind that it is possible that there may be more than one offender.

Once identified try a power line filter such as you said you did. Assuming the filter used was the correct type filter for the noise being conducted then look at the possibility that it may be "radiated" or broadcast over the air. If that is the case then some options are moving the offender further away or shielding (which may not be worth the effort for a lamp).

mxslick

In the case of the direct tv unit, make sure the "RF Remote" option is shut off if it is not in use.

You can tell if if might be in use as there will be a short antenna on the back of the receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.