marking phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

pomeroy

what colors are designated in the nec to be used to mark primarily 208 thru 480v 3ph systems? the only ref i cld find was orange on high leg mid-point delta. typically red, blue, brown, orange, yellow are used to mark phase. what is theright application for the right voltage and system?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just as iwire stated, as long as different systems are identified. There is some requirements for isolated systems for surgical room wiring, but for general use, any color you like. other than those designated for the grounded conductor and equipment grounds. I have heard in Texas it is still common to use Yellow, Brown and Purple for 480 three phase. A lot of places use Brown, Orange and Yellow for 480 because it was hard to tell Brown and Purple apart in a J-box above a dark ceiling.

Mike01

orange high leg

orange high leg

I believe there is a requirement of the high leg of a delt system (open / closed) to be orange in color and on the "B" phase of the panelboard.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum.
As always, it's best to check with the AHJ in the area of your job as some jurisdictions have local restrictions on identification.
For example, some of the AHJs in this area restrict the use of orange to the high-leg delta only leading to a common practice of Brown-Purple-Yellow on 480 volt.

Barndog

where i work at we use Brown, orange, Yellow for 480/277 with grey for the grounded conductor.

and Blue, Red, Black for 208/120 with White as the grounded conductor

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Black, Red, Blue, White and Brown, Orange, Yellow, Grey are traditional color markings. For most of us those patterns are a hard fast rule.

I once purchased a 5,000 roll of purple #10 stranded for $50 from a mom & pop supply house. (Nobody would buy it because of the color.) Took me two years to use it up. The inspectors used to challenge me on because it wasn't black. First thing I would tell them was that electricity doesn't know what color the insulation is. Then I would remind them that the Code only required the orange marking on high leg of a delta system (for phases.)

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Black, Red, Blue, White and Brown, Orange, Yellow, Grey are traditional color markings. For most of us those patterns are a hard fast rule.
To consider it a hard and fast rule can be dangerous. Never rely on any color, even white or green, to tell you voltage or function of the wire.

norcal

To consider it a hard and fast rule can be dangerous. Never rely on any color, even white or green, to tell you voltage or function of the wire.

Like this panel???

Picture115.jpg

brian john

Do you mean in your area?

Took me two years to use it up. The inspectors used to challenge me on because it wasn't black. First thing I would tell them was that electricity doesn't know what color the insulation is. Then I would remind them that the Code only required the orange marking on high leg of a delta system (for phases.)

Unless you have a local rule your AHJ's are dolts. I would have utilized that roll on any job I needed that size conductor. Though marking number 10 is a PIA.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Definetly! We took over a Wal Mart job that the original contractor was nearly done, but went under. Every wire in the building was Black, Red, Blue or White. 277/480, 120/208 and 120/240. I do not know why the inspector passed it, apparently he didn't know any more than the contractor.

480sparky

Definetly! We took over a Wal Mart job that the original contractor was nearly done, but went under. Every wire in the building was Black, Red, Blue or White. 277/480, 120/208 and 120/240. I do not know why the inspector passed it, apparently he didn't know any more than the contractor.

Maybe the permit was issued for an older code cycle, and not the '08.

chicar

It would really be nice if we as electricians could make this a contious effort to mark the wires with the right colors. I allways use the color codes on my wires because it is so nice to identify what the wires are without touching them with a voltage tester, and yes you can be sure my markings are true. I am a professional at my trade

Status
Not open for further replies.