Sloped-ceiling, remodel recessed lights, IC rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is anyone aware of a remodel sloped-ceiling recessed can made for insulated spaces?

Larger than 6" or otherwise able to accept greater than a 150w bulb would be a plus.

As always, thanx,

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Will this do it?
It might if it was for sloped ceilings, but thanx.

I've found a couple of 6" models, but they're either non-IC rated at 150w, or IC-rated at 75w.

For the rooms size and ceiling height, we need at least 150w, and we need IC-rated fixtures.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen an air tite over 150 watt and in fact cans in general are not rated over 150 watt that I know about. Good luck.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The Progress Ltg. P245-TG looks promising.

Now, I need to "cheat" with a high-power reflector CFL.

Anyone know of a 250w-equivalent or higher reflector?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Not so hot, but thanx!

Better, but I'd need to fashion a reflector inside the can. Thanx again!

I've actually found the 300w-equivalent spiral locally. Still hoping for a reflector.

Sorry i tryed to fined it but it must be rare:roll:

480sparky

...... Still hoping for a reflector.

ReynoldsWrap.jpg

:D

iwire

Staff member
Is anyone aware of a remodel sloped-ceiling recessed can made for insulated spaces?

Larger than 6" or otherwise able to accept greater than a 150w bulb would be a plus.

As always, thanx,

I have noticed that the trend has been to using larger quantities of smaller fixtures.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just out of curiosity ,what difference does it make if the ceiling is sloped or not??
Because we want the light to shine straight down, despite the angle of the ceiling.

If you look at pics of flat-ceiling and sloped-ceiling cans, the difference is obvious.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have noticed that the trend has been to using larger quantities of smaller fixtures.
Agreed, but if you were to see the size and shape of the room, the ceiling height, and the fan hanging in the center, it's apparent that just four lights in a rectangular pattern is the way to go in this instance.

There is no traffic flow pattern or furniture arrangement that would dictate a larger number of fixtures. The additional holes would look make the large, flat expanse of the sloped ceiling appear cluttered.

But, as Spock with a beard said in Mirror, Mirror, "Captain Kirk! I shall consider it!"

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's a pic of a large sloped ceiling where I used four 8" sloped-ceiling cans, obviously new-work, where fewer smaller can's wouldn't work, due to both the obvious interruption by thr dormer, and overall proportion.

Additionally, in response to Bob's suggestion, in this case, all four cans are high enough that the light will spread out enough to cover the area well without an increase in the number of cans if they're large and bright enough.

Added:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.