Hot tub light GFCI keeps tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike33

Hi guys, I need some advice here. We have a client who had complained of a pool light GFI that trips nearly every night after he goes in the spa (permanent, in-ground). Before my visit, the light had been replaced by a pool guy and my boss replaced the GFI. My boss and I pulled new wire from the Jandy pool control box to the above ground junction box. The old wire looked fine. The j-box has a brass bottom & brass/copper pipe to spa. The box was wet inside & is only 10" above water line. We left the cover off, taped the splices up good & left it for now. Client called next day, "GFI tripped when I dipped my toe in water". Sounds scarey to me. What do you think we should do? :-?test water to earth? run ground wire to water and see if GFI holds?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The pool JB only needs to be 8" above the water level but it is suppose to be 4' from the pool. Not sure how water is getting in but it should not be.

Is there equal potential bonding around the tub decking???

mike33

oh, I thought the JBox had to be 18" above water line. It is at least 10 feet away from water. not sure about the grid, is there a way to check for this? it could be in the concrete slab, correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
oh, I thought the JBox had to be 18" above water line. It is at least 10 feet away from water. not sure about the grid, is there a way to check for this? it could be in the concrete slab, correct?
There should be a #8 bare copper conductor that attaches all metallic parts and connects to the pool or tub motor. Something is leaking current somewhere.

hurk27

Sounds like water getting into the light from the pool, if this is a dry niche type light the gasket wasn't put back correctly when the lamp was changed.

to show this, just place a vacuum cleaner with the hose in the blowing port, down over the copper pipe to the light, if you get bubbles after you have pushed out the water, the gasket is leaking, also it sounds like the exponential bonding wasn't done to this light, or the GFCI would be tripping as fast as you turn on the light.

mike33

Thank you for your advice. My boss went back today. The GFCI has held since that last trip. He found that the water was sitting in the pipe right below the j-box at 10" above water line. Weird! He raised the box. Now a dimming module appears to be faulty? Anyway thanks again!!! We'll see what happens next....

Status
Not open for further replies.