"Service"

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In a large industrial complex where the utility meters the 13kv primary and all the wiring and transformers inside the complex are owned and maintained by the company, do you address all distribution as SD systems {250.30, 240.21(c)} and, for the most part, Art 430 does not apply (except as referenced) ?

opps old age ART 230

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In a large industrial complex where the utility meters the 13kv primary and all the wiring and transformers inside the complex are owned and maintained by the company, do you address all distribution as SD systems {250.30, 240.21(c)} and, for the most part, Art 430 does not apply (except as referenced) ?
The code does not do a very good job with these types of systems. The sections you have cited apply, however in many cases these systems are installed as if they were serivces. I assume you intended to say Article 230 does not apply except as referenced in other Articles and that would be correct.

Augie
The utility company may meter them, but who is the actual owner of the equipment?

Based strictly how I see these types of installations where I work (and there are not many of them), the property/company owner typically owns the equipment.

Good question though.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me, it gets messy.
The specific job has a company owned pole (pole #1) with a pole mounted pot (480 secondary/13 kv primary) feeding a second pole with a disconnect and enclosed transformer, 480/240. From the 2nd pole we then feed a building.
If I look at the building as if it were "service supplied", I would have phase + grounded.
Using the NEC definition of a "structure", my assembly on pole #2 (switch & transformer) becomes a structure, I now have one structure feeding another and with the changes in '08 (250.32)I now need a equipment grounding conductor also.

Status
Not open for further replies.