5 year old lugs on 100 amp Challenger Disconnect ratings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what the temp rating of the lugs might be.....

I'm not back to work for a couple days, so I'm going on memory.

This Disconnect (interior) has been changed out before due to heat fatigue and I'm told that it is now about 5 years old.

I think it was Challenger, not positive, can check again when I get back there.

I looked on the inside label for lug ratings and didn't find them, I was thinking they might be 60c lugs, has that changed in the last few years , could they be 75 or even 90c lugs ?

100 amp 480 3phase disc, the load is a commercial dishwasher.

4 Thhn line, loaded at about 70 amps each phase.
Temp readings at line side terminals were 100F,80F,80F A,B,C phases,
the load side is about 70F each phase.

Problem:

Personnel reports elect smell.
Wire is discolored near terminal connections (line side only).

The connections are extremely tight but may have built up corrosion.
My thoughts are that we may need to pull in larger wire to accommodate the 70 amp load, as the wire is undersized if the lugs are rated 60 c .

I'm also thinking as a temporary fix , clean terminals might be in order.

Suggestions appreciated.

:cool:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The lugs themselves may be rated @ 90 but that does not mean you can use that temp for the conductor. What is the actual nameplate rating of the dishwasher? Use that to size the conductors. IMO the wires are to small. Cleaning and torquing to specs may help for a while. Sounds like a good job for early morining before the breakfast crowd hits.

The lugs themselves may be rated @ 90 but that does not mean you can use that temp for the conductor. What is the actual nameplate rating of the dishwasher? Use that to size the conductors. IMO the wires are to small. Cleaning and torquing to specs may help for a while. Sounds like a good job for early morining before the breakfast crowd hits.

The nameplate of the Dishwasher was the first thing I looked for but it's a huge
rocket ship kind of contraption and the kitchen tech told me there wasn't one.

I thought cleaning or replacing lugs might help too, I also plan to cut and restrip where the wires connect since there's plenty of length.

Then I'll check lug temps again.

lol, yea they can get mean when there's dried egg on the plate.:D

I agree the wire looks to be undersized, all things considered.

The specs inside the cover of the disconnect is pretty complete, just couldn't find a lug rating, I would still like to find that out.

sparky59

It is common for wires to be undersized to dishwashers, even the inside wiring installed at the factory is too small. I replace terminals, and sometimes the contactors, and run larger conductors because the wire gets extra crispy and burns off. The real test comes at the end of the wash when the sanitize cylce starts. The water is heated to 180 degrees in just a few seconds.

... The real test comes at the end of the wash when the sanitize cylce starts. The water is heated to 180 degrees in just a few seconds.

There is a seperate disconnect for a 'Booster Heater' , I'll have to check the end of the cycle and varify that the disconnect in question isn't also additionally loaded by a 'Primary' heater.....

I don't like diswashers at home.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.