NEC General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabawire

Overall (Residential, Commercial, and Industrial):

Service conductors are sized based on the connected load and additionally derated by a diversity factor? True or False:cool:

zabawire

It appears to be too broad of a question..:)

Service conductors are not to be sized base on the total connected KVA load of an electrical system(load as defined by the NEC). However, they shall be sized base on a derating and diversify factor as mandated by the NEC rule.

480sparky

It's not 'too broad', but it sounds like a homework question.

We prefer you do your own homework, and we'll be happy to help you, but not just give you the answer.

cadpoint

Per the Code the first part over rides the second part of the question, one has to determine the load and then consider other things, 220.40 is your starting point , now how do You answer ?

zabawire

It's not 'too broad', but it sounds like a homework question.

We prefer you do your own homework, and we'll be happy to help you, but not just give you the answer.

It is not a homework question. It is a twofold question.......I graduated from school 12 years ago. You may review previous posts....:roll:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Overall (Residential, Commercial, and Industrial):

Service conductors are sized based on the connected load and additionally derated by a diversity factor? True or False:cool:

It appears to be too broad of a question..:)

Service conductors are not to be sized base on the total connected KVA load of an electrical system(load as defined by the NEC). However, they shall be sized base on a derating and diversify factor as mandated by the NEC rule.

Well given your first query gave only the options of true or false, the answer would have to be false. Service conductor size is determined by several factors. The NEC only mandates the minimum size permitted. That minimum size is determined by load calculation mainly under Article 220.

cadpoint

It is not a homework question. It is a twofold question.......I graduated from school 12 years ago. You may review previous posts....:roll:

You might not want to review my Posts, But I will confess, I'm still hungry...:grin:

If you want to go to the year of 57' this was the peak of the Baby Boomers... Boo YA...

zabawire

You might not want to review my Posts, But I will confess, I'm still hungry...:grin:

If you want to go to the year of 57' this was the peak of the Baby Boomers... Boo YA...

Well, my respects to you. How about you share some of your knowledge to bring me up to your standards..:)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
"Diversity" appears 6 times in the 2008 NEC.

Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) FPN.
400.5(B) FPN.
Table 520.44.
Annex B (3 times).

But more importantly the words "what if" never appear together in the NEC, a good thing to know when you get an inspector who is a bit ''overzealous'' :grin: even if it has nothing to do with the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.