Should A Wireway Or Other Enclosure Be Bonded Regardless Of The Presence Of Joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my understand that everything from a trough to a handy box should always be bonded even if the enclosure is being used as a pass-through because you are actually bonding the raceway system but I cannot seem to find it in 250. My foreman was able to get this by an inspector but the inspector was an all-trades inspector for a small town. Can I get some help here guys?

hurk27

If the race way is metal, there is no requirement of bonding a race way, thats what the locknut's are for.

the only requirement in 250 is if the raceway contains a GEC, then each end and any boxes in between have to be bonded across. see 250.64(E)

This is because the race way is the EGC see 250.118 for the allowed types of EGC's.

Now if we want to run a extra EGC conductor in the race way we are allowed, but its not required to be bonded at every point in the run unless we splice it in a box, see 250.148

iwire

Staff member
It is my understand that everything from a trough to a handy box should always be bonded even if the enclosure is being used as a pass-through because you are actually bonding the raceway system but I cannot seem to find it in 250. My foreman was able to get this by an inspector but the inspector was an all-trades inspector for a small town. Can I get some help here guys?

Assuming it was a box connected to an electrically continuous raceway it is fine.

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment
Grounding Conductors to Boxes.
Where circuit conductors
are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment
within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(
s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected
within the box or to the box with devices suitable for
the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

Exception: The equipment grounding conductor permitted
in 250.146(D) shall not be required to be connected to the
other equipment grounding conductors or to the box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I find it odd that emt is an acceptable ground but if you pull a ground and splice it in a box then, all of a sudden, the emt is no longer good enough and the box needs grounding. :confused:

realolman

I find it odd that emt is an acceptable ground but if you pull a ground and splice it in a box then, all of a sudden, the emt is no longer good enough and the box needs grounding. :confused:
I suppose by pulling the ground, you must be considering the emt unsuitable to be the ground... or else you wouldn't a pulled the ground.:)

I suppose by pulling the ground, you must be considering the emt unsuitable to be the ground... or else you wouldn't a pulled the ground.:)

I do not believe that some who design the systems and spec additional grounding/bonding believe the metallic path is a poor bonding mean. I think that some engineers blindly spec this and do so only because that is how their office has engineered since time gone by.

Status
Not open for further replies.