Support of Conduit after conduit body

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1" run of RMC supported 20" from an LB; which then has a 6" nipple terminating into a consentric knock out in a meter enclosure.

I did not support the nipple.

A. Does then need to be supported?
B. Is it considered supported since the conduit run is supported within 3" even though there is a conduit body.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well 344.30(A) says that it needs to be supported within 3' of the conduit body and meter enclosure.. The way it's written IMO you've complied with the requirement depending on how you interpret the word each.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a 1" run of RMC supported 20" from an LB; which then has a 6" nipple terminating into a consentric knock out in a meter enclosure.

I did not support the nipple.

A. Does then need to be supported?
B. Is it considered supported since the conduit run is supported within 3" even though there is a conduit body.
Your supported = NEC securely fastened??? ;)

If yes, you're good to go... IMO :D

bullheimer

around here if you run say, box to box, and are under the length reqd to be supported, in btwn the boxes, like 1 or 2 ft from box to box w/o support for 1/2" emt, then you are good to go. i just fly by the seat of my pants on this cause i think 3 fts too far. if you are able to strap it strap it. if you can't then you should be okay. i realize for some cases the code says 5 ft here, (if unable to secure). that might be a bit much. but i've done boxes with 12" btwn them w/o any strapping and no passes inspecs.

The code is fairly specific as of 2008 with 18" being the maximum for a nipple from box to box without consentric, ensentric, or oversized knockouts.

In the case I'm talking about, the lynch pin would be whether the conduit body added to the picture makes the nipple no longer supported. My contention is that the conduit body is no different than if there was a coupling and a factory 90.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.