Junction in Pier Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfr2923

Hello

This is my fist post on here, have a question. My company is installing lights on top of lighted piers made out of concrete block with a brick vinear, they are 2 blocks stacked about 13feet high slugged with concrete the masons gutted out the top coarse of the block to make room for my light and there is a concrete cap going on top of the pier with a hole for my light to sit in. It is a in ground flagpole light that will sit flush with the top of the pier. The GC than is building a decorative enclosure on top of the whole thing. It is engineered and on a spec job... not my design.

My question is do I have to hook my conduit up to the light or can I use the empty area in the top of the pier as a j-box, and terminate the THHN in te open area? My only concern is its gong to be a pain to get the conduit hooked to the light and everything flush in the hole.

Thanks

ceb58

Hello

This is my fist post on here, have a question. My company is installing lights on top of lighted piers made out of concrete block with a brick vinear, they are 2 blocks stacked about 13feet high slugged with concrete the masons gutted out the top coarse of the block to make room for my light and there is a concrete cap going on top of the pier with a hole for my light to sit in. It is a in ground flagpole light that will sit flush with the top of the pier. The GC than is building a decorative enclosure on top of the whole thing. It is engineered and on a spec job... not my design.

My question is do I have to hook my conduit up to the light or can I use the empty area in the top of the pier as a j-box, and terminate the THHN in te open area? My only concern is its gong to be a pain to get the conduit hooked to the light and everything flush in the hole.

Thanks

Code wise, no. It is not a listed and or approved raceway or junction box.

dfr2923

Would my best bet be to cut my pipe off use it as a chase and pull UF in? I will have to check with my EE but I didn't want to look stupid so I figured I would ask here first, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.