Ethernet and ControlNet cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Ethernet and ControlNet cables considered Class 1 remote control or power limited cables? Article 725.41 would suggest they are.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are Ethernet and ControlNet cables considered Class 1 remote control or power limited cables? Article 725.41 would suggest they are.

There is no power at all involved in these kind of circuits so I do not believe they can be considered limited power at all.

I always considered them Article 800 cables, but I guess it depends on their application.

800.1 defines the scope and I don't see how anyone could make the jump that these kind of circuits are covered here, but I think that they are, even if the scope as stated would appear to explicitly exclude such circuits.

However the definition of communications equipment in 800.2 would appear to include them there.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
I don't read that definition that way. I read it as applying to the wiring that connects building equipment to an outside "utility" that is providing the service. I don't see it including the types of installations being asked about here.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Bob,
I don't read that definition that way. I read it as applying to the wiring that connects building equipment to an outside "utility" that is providing the service. I don't see it including the types of installations being asked about here.

I don't see anything about it being outside except for burglar and fire alarm wiring.

800.1 Scope. This article covers telephone, telegraph (except
radio), outside wiring for fire alarm and burglar alarm, and
similar central station systems; and telephone systems not connected
to a central station system but using similar types of
equipment, methods of installation, and maintenance.

It's a confusing definition, since it appears to exclude data circuits of all types, yet 800.2 has additional definitions that only apply to this article, and one of the definitions talks about data circuits.

To be honest, I have always assumed communications and network cabling to be class 2 circuits, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.