low price for service

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgiraldo

I was called to price a simple job. they wanted two switches replace and also to give them a price for pool light repair. Now the type of house has alum wire. The pool lights??.

I told them over The phone 150. And that I would look at the pool light. If it was a easy fix I would fix it. If trouble shooting required that I WOULD CHARGE my going rate.

He emailed me and said he found a license electrician that would do it for 50.

Oh the switch arc and pop on the home owner hand that's why he call.

stevenje

Another sign of the times. It is impossible for a EC such as yourself to compete with licensed (or unlicensed) electricians who will work just for wages. For the past couple of years EC's are cutting each others throats trying to get jobs or trying to compete with the handymen and electricians wiling to do jobs for peanuts. What a mess.

bradleyelectric

Another sign of the times. It is impossible for a EC such as yourself to compete with licensed (or unlicensed) electricians who will work just for wages. For the past couple of years EC's are cutting each others throats trying to get jobs or trying to compete with the handymen and electricians wiling to do jobs for peanuts. What a mess.

It's not really a sign of the times and it's not someone working for wages. They would make more if they were working for wages. It just doesn't seem that way without figuring true costs.

flyboy

That's just your perception "of the times". The reality is, that for progressive EC's who know how to run a business, who know how to market themselves, sell the value of doing business with their company vs. the "competition" and price themselves based on their breakeven and profit the times are good.

Choose not to participate in the down economy and learn how not to compete with the low balling bottom feeders in our business.

We've raised prices twice this year and business is great. BBB A+

Just another perspective how things "can" be.

PetrosA

It all boils down to temptation. There will always be trunk slammers doing stuff cheaper than a bona fide business can. I refused sub contracting work and side jobs until I had a truck, insurance, stock and whatever else I needed to go in and work with a clear conscience at which point they were no longer side jobs, but my bread and butter. There are still days when I look at the bill I hand someone and wonder if it's not too high and there are those who never call back after I give an estimate, but in the end I probably don't need to be working for them anyway ;)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I was called to price a simple job. they wanted two switches replace and also to give them a price for pool light repair. Now the type of house has alum wire. The pool lights??.

I told them over The phone 150. And that I would look at the pool light. If it was a easy fix I would fix it. If trouble shooting required that I WOULD CHARGE my going rate.

He did not get any one for $50 he was just trying to cut you down:mad:
Stand by your prices:D

rgiraldo

I am, and I have to apologize for my original post. I took a pain killer for my back the day I posted. And if I didn't sound clear on my statement I am sorry.

The home owner has not contacted me and I have not lost any sleep.

teco

This post reminded me of something. When I first started in the trade in 84, the shop I worked for had a poster on the wall. It was a hobo walking along with a stick and a little sack tied at the end slung over his shoulder. Under the picture were the words, "I use to be an electrical contractor and I always had the cheapest price in town" I didn't quite understand it then. When I started my own business 20 years ago I finally understood the meaning in my 1st year.

Last edited:

mtfallsmikey

If you agreed to do it for $50, then you would have gotten the job because "we like you" or some other line/excuse. You might have had the cheapest price at $150, but didn't realize it....they were trying to play you like a cheap fiddle...good learning experience for you and others...

Status
Not open for further replies.