20' pvc sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am looking into using 20' pvc sticks on an upcoming project. Anybody have experience using these on a job and did it work out well for you as far as a labor savings?

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Love 'em when I can use them. Depending on the trade size, you will need two people as Cavie pointed out.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
When we do long runs, they're great. Save huge time.

I'll tell you another trick I've learned if it'll help you. We frequently make some long runs for light poles, irrigation circles, etc etc. What I found to be the OVERALL fastest, easiest way to glue pipe and keep the dirt out of it was to load it on a trailer. Have one person drive the truck/trailer alongside the ditch while one guy walks right behind the trailer glueing pipe, let the freshly glued pipe pull the next stick off. The gluer then grabs the conduit before it slides off the end of the trailer and glues the next stick on. The driver stops for every glue joint. Hopefully that makes sense?

This is a 100% surefire way to keep the dirt out of the conduit. This makes a big difference if the ditch is muddy and nasty.

All you have to do is just walk back and lay the conduit in the ditch, bed it with a shovel, etc.

ohmhead

I am looking into using 20' pvc sticks on an upcoming project. Anybody have experience using these on a job and did it work out well for you as far as a labor savings?
5bc497d8.jpg

Well 20 foot is ok if your out running a long trench and have lots of room to move around in and dont care about it being real straight or level but its a hassle sometimes if you run more than a few !

On large projects space storage and long time periods they get warped out of shape ends get bent and you need forks to move it around plus clearing out the pipe with dirt or sand is a bigg issue you cant just pick it up and shake it out .

We kinda like 10 foot in duct banks easyer to work with and in the hot sun it kinda stays level you do more work with 20 foot lengths banging it together its harder to work with but have run a lot of it over the years .

We only use 20 foot today on 4 & 6 inch pvc nothing smaller its a waste of time more labor than its cost and what most think . Sorry but thats my thoughts hope you understand we kinda run a few underground duct banks now and then and have been there once or twice .

laketime

5bc497d8.jpg

Well 20 foot is ok if your out running a long trench and have lots of room to move around in and dont care about it being real straight or level but its a hassle sometimes if you run more than a few !

On large projects space storage and long time periods they get warped out of shape ends get bent and you need forks to move it around plus clearing out the pipe with dirt or sand is a bigg issue you cant just pick it up and shake it out .

We kinda like 10 foot in duct banks easyer to work with and in the hot sun it kinda stays level you do more work with 20 foot lengths banging it together its harder to work with but have run a lot of it over the years .

We only use 20 foot today on 4 & 6 inch pvc nothing smaller its a waste of time more labor than its cost and what most think . Sorry but thats my thoughts hope you understand we kinda run a few underground duct banks now and then and have been there once or twice .

Some good points there on space issues

JacksonburgFarmer

I have done it both ways..... you can really cruise along with 20' conduit, but....if you are running a bunch of conduits (4+) I dont think it would be a good idea, at least if you have very many turns to make. I also reccomend having some 10' stock on hand as well for starts/ends/stubups/etc.

A 20' stick of 4" pvc is heavy. figure 2 guys in ditch, one STRONG guy on top, or two mediocre guys on the bank. Seems as apprentice, I was on the bank wresting 4" in 20' sticks by myself. Oh the good old days....

Status
Not open for further replies.