Getting Residential Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogg

Hey guys, fairly new to contracting, but wondering what is the best way to get residential work (remodels, new construction, etc). Do most GC's already have an electrician they typically use, or is there a place to go to get, or view bids, etc. I primarily do residential work and am having a hard time getting jump started. Maybe it's the economy, but it seems others are fairing pretty well from where I am (i.e. Staunton, VA). At any rate, any help would be greatly appreciated!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd start with looking for GC's who do the kind of work you're looking for, the same way a customer would look for them, and request contact info, like their fax number and email address. Then, have a flyer of some sort ready to fax and/or email to them.

Don't be surprised if the majority of them are looking for cheap.

480sparky

Most resi work is in spec homes, and there's so much competition for it that it really isn't all that profitable.

Like Larry said, seek out the GCs who are doing the type of work you want to do, and just ask 'em for an opportunity to bid on some of their upcoming projects. The worst they can say is, "No".

Dogg

Thanks Larry and 480. The email idea is sound advice. I will start thumbing through the phone book, etc., and see if I can get some GC's to respond.

wireguy8169

the first time I worked for myself I just opened up the phone book and called every contractor out there and asked if they bid or just had someone or whatever. Some had me send them info and I got invitations to bid. I made out and ended up with three very busy contractors, one of which did fire restoration work which was a cash machine (not dishonestly) by that it was all TM and i was able to charge $46 an hour and mark up my materials with no fuss about the bill. Not always the biggest jobs, some of them were a kitchen rewire a few were a gut and rewire. The one thing I recommend is do not low ball yourself too much to get in cause then you will find that all the contractors will be calling you cause they want that price, not to mention its hard to up your price too much at a time and keep the work (most of the time)

Get in with a good contractor or two and they will keep you busy usually...

good luck

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Also contact property managment companies, they're usually looking for guys to do service work. They tend to be slow payers sometimes, but they also tend to have lots of work.

I'm not so much for the email or fax as an introduction. You can create a nice letter and then just change the title on it and sign each one. Check with the local chamber of commerce they usually have a directory that has a list of business and contact names. Seems more personal than "dear sir or madam".

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey guys, fairly new to contracting, but wondering what is the best way to get residential work (remodels, new construction, etc).
The best way I have found is to work for an existing EC who has the contracts. Getting your own is a lot of work and a lot of headaches. :D

flyboy

General Contractors

General Contractors

I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a steak knife then work for a GC.

or...

I'd attempt a root canal on myself even though I don't need one, rather then work for GC.

Do yourself a favor Dogg, don't work for GCs. You're too new at this, the risk is too high and the margins suck. There are too many GC's out there that are lousey business people, under funded and will have you chasing your money. You aren't savy enough (yet) to weed out the good ones from the bad ones.

Do yourself and your family a favor, work as a prime, only. There is plenty of business out there with respectable margins and you can collect your money COD.

You probably won't take this advise, but thats ok, 25 years ago either did I. You may unknowingly decide to find out the hard way.

Dogg

Flyboy, no this is good advice, and I will certainly consider your input. Like I said, I am new at this, so any advice certainly helps. Also, thank the rest of you guys for your posts, and for even considering helping a newbie.

muskrat

If you're considering the GC route, talk to other subs and find out their rep. I've had some that paid OK but were a real PITA cause of adds changes etc that i was s'posed to do for nothing(HA, earned him a 5% F-factor to all his jobs). Other were great to work for. Research them like looking for a job(do I really want to work for him for that?)

Dogg, its a bad economy to take on Gcs. You will typically be 1 of 3-5 bidders. There is simply no money in being the low bider. I have a few GCs that apreiciate quality and are willing to pay more for it, because they realize it takes time and management to turn out a good product. These guys dont bid me agains any one. We work as a team. Unfortunatley these people have become hard to find. My advise is concentrate on homeowners.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do yourself a favor Dogg, don't work for GCs. You're too new at this, the risk is too high and the margins suck. There are too many GC's out there that are lousey business people, under funded and will have you chasing your money. You aren't savy enough (yet) to weed out the good ones from the bad ones.

Do yourself and your family a favor, work as a prime, only. There is plenty of business out there with respectable margins and you can collect your money COD.

You probably won't take this advise, but thats ok, 25 years ago either did I. You may unknowingly decide to find out the hard way.
I couldn't have said this better, but bear in mind we all have to pay for our education. If you're looking to keep yourself busy and need a job just to get you through the winter dulldrums AND you don't mind working for peanuts, then take a job with a GC. You'll soon come to the realization that the only one ALLOWED to make money is the GC. They'll shop jobs to the Nth degree until they find contractors who will do the jobs for less and less $$$ irrespective of the quality of work they'll produce.

flyboy

I couldn't have said this better, but bear in mind we all have to pay for our education. If you're looking to keep yourself busy and need a job just to get you through the winter dulldrums AND you don't mind working for peanuts, then take a job with a GC. You'll soon come to the realization that the only one ALLOWED to make money is the GC. They'll shop jobs to the Nth degree until they find contractors who will do the jobs for less and less $$$ irrespective of the quality of work they'll produce.

"A smart businessperson is one who makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes it again.

A wise businessperson is one who finds a smart businessperson and learns from him how to avoid the mistakes he made." Jim Abrams

nhfire77

I agree with the property management groups.
Yes, some do play games with paying you, and when you find out, walk away.

I have several good service accounts with multifamily/apartment complex managers. I smile and blow sunshine up their wazoo. Find the shallow or arrogant ones and tell them how wonderful they are, and they will call you for work just to here it. Psychology class was not a total waste of time.

They keep calling and paying Net 30 or sooner. Just keep in mind there are some that will always try to keep you on the hook. "Well we will pay you for that as soon as you can do this." PLEASE don't play that game, it hurts everyone.

AugustC

First post, but had to give some input... I agree with Flyboy and the others. When I started out I headed for the homeowners but thought I was missing out on the 'big work' doing business with the GC's.

From my newspaper ad I received several calls from GC's looking 'to add to their pool of EC's' which translated into - 'We burned through the other guys and we're hoping you're new enough to take advantage of.'

Thankfully I've landed on just a few GC's who value my work and are good business people.

dmagyar

Tough economy to start

Tough economy to start

Which I'm sure you already know. Good luck.

AugustC welcome.

Dogg; Crawl, walk, run. Finding some initial residential/commercial clients by using advertising, leads group, web advertising, or Web portal advertising, also direct referrals from friends, family. Watch out what you pay for advertising, keep away from the "pay per click". Build on that, bidding a project being 1 of 10 is not a way to get a business started, nor keep it going.

I agree with all who've cautioned about going the GC route.

One GC that I came across just used me to price his doing the electrical work. Then he wanted me to work on his house, charge it to another client who we were submitting a joint bid. I'm sure there are good GC's out there, I just haven't run into many.

Status
Not open for further replies.