422.12 violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyrice

Recently I wired 8 gas fired hot air furnaces on 4 multiwire branch circuits.Later I saw that 422.12 required central heating equip. to be on individual branch circuits.Each multiwire branch circuit consists of 2 20 amp breakers with handle tie . 12-3 mc to j-box then 12-2 mc to ssy with 15 amp fuse to each furnace.Why would this present a problem ?

jumper

Recently I wired 8 gas fired hot air furnaces on 4 multiwire branch circuits.Later I saw that 422.12 required central heating equip. to be on individual branch circuits.Each multiwire branch circuit consists of 2 20 amp breakers with handle tie . 12-3 mc to j-box then 12-2 mc to ssy with 15 amp fuse to each furnace.Why would this present a problem ?

I think you may be okay

210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits.
(A) General. Branch circuits recognized by this article
shall be permitted as multiwire circuits. A multiwire circuit
shall be permitted to be considered as multiple circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
4 MWBC is the same as 8 individual circuits, assuming 2 hots & 1 neutral. 422.12 is not calling for individual neutrals. Your install is fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds fine, except the handle tie kind of stinks. If you need to shut off just one circuit you'll end up knocking out two boilers.

tommyrice

both furnaces wouldn't shut down

both furnaces wouldn't shut down

handle tie is required on multiwire circ. the ssy's have 15 amp fuse which would probably trip if there was a problem with one of the furnaces

Status
Not open for further replies.