Utiilization equipment in ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevlander

Is a condensation pump with cord & plug considered "utilization equipment"? The definition in 100 is pretty vague. If so I believe it should be allowed in a in a drop ceiling per 440.7(6,7&8). I have read all many of the archived forum responses and found no one agreeing with this. Someone please explain why the pump would not be allowed based on the article#s I quoted. Thanks

sevlander

But...

But...

Yes, BUT 400.8 says "unless specifically permitted in 400.7". In 400.7 (6,7 &8) seem to allow it for utilization equipment, vibration and appliances. It would seem that one or more of them apply to a cond. pump and therefore be allowed. If I was the AHJ , I would read 400.7 and allow it. I need someone to dispute that. Thanks

fishin' electrician

Yes, BUT 400.8 says "unless specifically permitted in 400.7". In 400.7 (6,7 &8) seem to allow it for utilization equipment, vibration and appliances. It would seem that one or more of them apply to a cond. pump and therefore be allowed. If I was the AHJ , I would read 400.7 and allow it. I need someone to dispute that. Thanks

Trouble is there's nothing in 400.7 that specifically permits cords above a ceiling.

billsnuff

what is the AHJs interpretation of 'frequent'?

Is there no other wiring method to prevent transmission of vibration and is the pump attach to the structure?

Is the pump part of a larger appliance?

Did the manufacturer supply the cord?

I'm thinking violation.......

sevlander

cord is factory installed (therefore no other means of flex wiring without UL loss).

pump is mounted to AHU.

removal for maint/cleaning may be required on occaisions

elohr46

cord is factory installed (therefore no other means of flex wiring without UL loss).

pump is mounted to AHU.

removal for maint/cleaning may be required on occaisions

I have wired many of those pumps over the years, they come hard wired or with cord/plug. Above ceilings we used the hard wired model.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks everyone for all your imputs. It appears the simple answer is to get a hardwired model pump.
I have seen only 240v hardwired pumps. All the 120v pumps are cord and plug. Little giant makes a hardwired one. If you find a 120V hardwire please let me know.

I started writing a proposal for the 2014 nec that would have an exception for condensate pumps but I could not substantiate it since they do make a hardwired version.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
....other than the obvious, what differences are there between the 'hard wired' and 'cord and plug' motors?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
....other than the obvious, what differences are there between the 'hard wired' and 'cord and plug' motors?

There is no difference and we install a recptacle for the pump all the time for unit above the ceiling and never get flagged.:roll:

DavidA

Oops, just installed a body lift in a crematorium above the T bar. The motor for the lift arrived with plug and cord and I didn't give a second thought to putting a receptacle next to it. I obviously need to spend more time in the 'good book'.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Oops, just installed a body lift in a crematorium above the T bar. The motor for the lift arrived with plug and cord and I didn't give a second thought to putting a receptacle next to it. I obviously need to spend more time in the 'good book'.

Dont sweat it, I believe all of us have, lets say, overlooked a few things in our days

Status
Not open for further replies.