Quick Question re: AL Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

How many of them used a calibrated station monitor to verify spectral purity on this highly regarded Maco amp? In a lab setting, only the desired frequency with the desired bandwidth would be sent down the wire due to design, verification and adjustments. This would ensure that the shield of the feed line was not acting as an antenna and thus would not interact with any metallic surface nearby. Also, any high powered transmitter would have to use hard line coax for long runs which is nearly impossible to pull through pipe, as the coax itself is nearly rigid. The specs already allow for a ferrous conduit. If Al presented a problem, so would steel.

That insinuates that CB is no longer close to the Amateur 10 meter band. :confused:

Nope as far as i know they still are neighbors. I got out of it in 79 but had a nice collection of CQ cards from all over the country. A lot of ham radios were sold back then. Just glad the FCC never caught up to me.

ericsherman37

I haven't noticed aluminum getting "completely thrashed" in a year or three, though. Also, it's always a good idea to paint.

The only rigid aluminum conduit I've installed was at a paper mill, and they specified that rigid aluminum be used inside, and rigid aluminum OCAL be used outside.

I've seen some aluminum kindorf strut & straps and stuff used outside that's been in pretty poor shape. The conduit was PVC so no galvanic corrosion issues, just salt air. No telling how long it had been there, though.

We usually use regular steel rigid for service masts and stuff but I haven't been doing resi work long enough to see the long-term effects of the local climate on my installations. Maybe I'll do my next one with a piece of aluminum and then come back in 20 years and drive around comparing them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.