Eye bolt..

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Yes.. but lag and 14" long

This?
eye-lag-bent-wire.gif

Eww. How hack. I would never use a screw-in eyebolt. It will rot the wood out behind it and in 20 years will pull out.

B4T

This?
eye-lag-bent-wire.gif

Eww. How hack. I would never use a screw-in eyebolt. It will rot the wood out behind it and in 20 years will pull out.

I will be sure to tell the 3 million homeowners here on Long Island that some guy from Iowa thinks those eyebolts are going to fail.. :roll:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
POCOs here won't even allow screw-in's any more.
:confused:

So, when the tree comes down mid-span and the catenary of the drop amplifies the weight to a gazillion tons of yank, the PoCo wants structural damage, rather than a pop out?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have been trying to locate a lag type eye bolt that is 14" long.

The framers must of run out of wood and used 1X6 where normally you find a 2X6.

I have to drill through the outer framing and hit the next roof rafter

I don't want to cut the roof open to use threaded rod if I can find a lag instead.
I don't understand why you need it to be 14" long???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think he's saying the first full sized framing member is about 11" behind the 1x6 facia.
Perhaps 1x rafter extensions, too!!???

Anyway, McMaster Carr has 3/8-16 and 1/2-13 x lag screw threaded studs. Their website uses javascirpt links so I can't give a direct link, but the progression is: click on threaded rod & studs on home page (first row, second from left), click on Threaded Rods and Studs on second page, click on Wood Screw Threaded Studs on third page, then Overall Length 12" on fourth... and that will take you to the two diameter options. Finish off with eye nut or rod coupling and machine threaded eye bolt.

Last edited:

B4T

Perhaps 1x rafter extensions, too!!???

Anyway, McMaster Carr has 3/8-16 and 1/2-13 x lag screw threaded studs. Their website uses javascirpt links so I can't give a direct link, but the progression is: click on threaded rod & studs on home page (first row, second from left), click on Threaded Rods and Studs on second page, click on Wood Screw Threaded Studs on third page, then Overall Length 12" on fourth... and that will take you to the two diameter options. Finish off with eye nut or rod coupling and machine threaded eye bolt.

That info was a home run and will work perfectly.. THANK-YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.